What does 'travel bug' mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
It was a school trip to Paris for a week, and I thought it was wonderful. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the language - they were all wonderful. I had never experienced anything like it, and the week had a profound effect on me. It gave me the travel bug!

Hi teachers. Would you mind giving me a hand, please?

What does 'travel bug' mean here? I've looked it up in the dictionary, but it did not tell me anything. Thanks in advance.

羡鱼-Xianyu;587165 said:
It was a school trip to Paris for a week, and I thought it was wonderful. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the language - they were all wonderful. I had never experienced anything like it, and the week had a profound effect on me. It gave me the travel bug!

Hi teachers. Would you mind giving me a hand, please?

What does 'travel bug' mean here? I've looked it up in the dictionary, but it did not tell me anything. Thanks in advance.

I guess it means that you would like to travel more; keep travelling now that you have had such a good experience

Travel bug

In British English, the slang word "bug", in the above given context, means an illness or a disease which is usually infectious.

Example:

Person1: Atchoo! [sneezes]
Person2: Bless you. Are you alright?
Person1: It's nothing. I must've caught a bug (eg a cold or fluu) from walking in the rain yesterday.

So, a "travel bug" is an illness or a disease which compels the infected person with the desire to travel.

Please note that, although I have used words like "illness" and "disease" to describe it, the term "travel bug" itself does not have any negative connotations.

In fact, it is usually a positive thing to catch the travel bug.:up:

Travel bug

In British English, the slang word "bug", in the above given context, means an illness or a disease which is usually infectious.

Example:

Person1: Atchoo! [sneezes]
Person2: Bless you. Are you alright?
Person1: It's nothing. I must've caught a bug (eg a cold or fluu) from walking in the rain yesterday.

So, a "travel bug" is an illness or a disease which compels the infected person with the desire to travel.

Please note that, although I have used words like "illness" and "disease" to describe it, the term "travel bug" itself does not have any negative connotations.

In fact, it is usually a positive thing to catch the travel bug.:up:
Yes, it's a metaphor from the literal meaning of catching of a 'bug'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back