What exactly did Jon Stewart say at that moment in the video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,everybody.I've got a difficulty about understanding exactly what Jon Stewart say during the several seconds between 10:20 and 10:25 of a video.I just can't figure out exactly those several words during that particular moment said by Jon.The auto generated subtitles for that moment shown in the video seem to make no sense.Could anyone please help me out?This question baffled me for a long time.Thank you so much!Here is the video:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi,everybody.I've got a difficulty about understanding exactly what Jon Stewart say during the several seconds between 10:20 and 10:25 of a video.I just can't figure out exactly those several words during that particular moment said by Jon.The auto generated subtitles for that moment shown in the video seem to make no sense.Could anyone please help me out?This question baffled me for a long time.Thank you so much!Here is the video:
"...that so rarely work productively in society...".

Is that the part that you couldn't make out?

Keep in mind the context. O'Reilly insulted Stewart's writers by calling them pinheads. Stewart responded by turning that into a joke.

brianok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"...that so rarely work productively in society...".

Is that the part that you couldn't make out?

Keep in mind the context. O'Reilly insulted Stewart's writers by calling them pinheads. Stewart responded by turning that into a joke.
No,that's not the part I can't make out.Actually,it's in the part of "...in many respects,finding an engine of the economy that has been absolutely .....energy" that I can't make out.Specifically,it's the few words between the words "absolutely" and "energy" that I just did't get.The auto subtitles read like "untaek a vein of".What does that mean?Is "untaek" a word?I can't get it.Hope you can illuminate that for me.Thank you for the help!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"... finding a vein of the economy that has been absolutely untapped. A vein of energy ... ".

He seems to flub the word untapped. To me it sounds like untacked.

brianok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"... finding a vein of the economy that has been absolutely untapped. A vein of energy ... ".

Wow,so,Jon's original words should be "in many respects,finding an engine of the economy that has been absolutely untapped a vein of energy".Is that right?

brianok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Also,as you pointed out that he seems to flub the word such that it sounds like untacked,that actually is exactly what my confusion is, I heard it as untacked,so I just can't make any sense out of those few words!You know,I as a non native learner of English,would normally not tend to suspect the speaker misprounced some words,instead,I just reflect on my own problems,where I didn't do well,where I should improve further,etc.things like that.So,the confusion just can't be resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, space here everybody. space here I've got a difficulty about I'm having trouble understanding exactly what Jon Stewart says during the several seconds between 10:20 and 10:25 of a this video. space here I just can't figure out exactly those several words. during that particular moment said by Jon. space here The auto-generated subtitles for that moment shown in the video seem to make no sense. space here Could anyone please help me out? space here This question baffled has been baffling me for a long time. space here Thank you so much! space here Here is the video:
No, space here that's not the part I can't make out. space here Actually, space here it's in the part of "...in many respects, space here finding an engine of the economy that has been absolutely .....energy" that I can't make out. space here Specifically, space here it's the few words between the words "absolutely" and "energy" that I just didn't get. space here The auto subtitles read like "untaek a vein of". space here What does that mean? space here Is "untaek" a word? space here I can't get it. space here I hope you can illuminate that for me. space here Thank you for the help!
Wow, space here so no comma here Jon's original words should be "in many respects, space here finding an engine of the economy that has been absolutely untapped a vein of energy". space here Is that right?
Also, space here as you pointed out, that he seems to flub the word such so that it sounds like "untacked". That actually is exactly what my confusion is. I heard it as "untacked", space here so I just can't make any sense out of those few words! space here You know, I, as a non-native learner of English speaker, space here would normally not tend to suspect the speaker mispronounced some words. Instead, space here I just reflect on my own problems - where I didn't do well, space here where I should improve further, space here etc. and things like that. space here So,the confusion just can't be resolved.

Please note my multiple corrections to your four posts. You need to work very hard on spacing around punctuation. Remember the following:

- You must put a space after every comma.
- You must put a space after every full stop (unless it's followed by closing quotation marks or a closing bracket).
- You must put a space after every question mark (unless it's followed by closing quotation marks or a closing bracket).
- You must put a space after every exclamation mark (unless it's followed by closing quotation marks or a closing bracket).

brianok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please note my multiple corrections to your four posts. You need to work very hard on spacing around punctuation. Remember the following:

- You must put a space after every comma.
- You must put a space after every full stop (unless it's followed by closing quotation marks or a closing bracket).
- You must put a space after every question mark (unless it's followed by closing quotation marks or a closing bracket).
- You must put a space after every exclamation mark (unless it's followed by closing quotation marks or a closing bracket).
Thank you for your work! I'll pay attention to what you mentioned. Honestly,the format of "spacing around punctuation" is kinda a new thing to me. Is this format applicable to all online English texts layout or is it particular to the UE forums? I wonder. Anyway, the UE has been greatly helpful. Thanks indeed.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your work! I'll pay attention to what you mentioned. Honestly, space here the format of no quotation marks here spacing around punctuation no quotation marks here is kinda kind of a new thing to me. Is this format applicable to all online English texts text layout or is it particular to the UE forums? I wonder. Anyway, the UE has been greatly very helpful. Thanks indeed.

The rules of spacing around punctuation apply everywhere! Very casual writing (text messages, WhatsApp etc) might not follow them but that's not what we teach here. The same goes for non-standard English such as "kinda/wanna/gonna".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Wow,so,Jon's original words should be "in many respects,finding an engine of the economy that has been absolutely untapped a vein of energy".Is that right?
Sort the punctuation out.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sort the punctuation out.
In post #7, I corrected the punctuation of the previous four posts by the OP, including the one you've quoted. ;)

brianok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The rules of spacing around punctuation apply everywhere! Very casual writing (text messages, WhatsApp etc) might not follow them but that's not what we teach here. The same goes for non-standard English such as "kinda/wanna/gonna".
Just curious, why can't I use "greatly" instead of "very" there in my original post?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
By bringing together this enormous group of pinheads, uh, I am, you know, in in many respects finding an engine of the economy that has been absolutely untapped—a vein
of energy.

Last edited by a moderator:

brianok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Why can't I say "greatly helpful"? I can't get it. No idea why you replaced it with "very".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Just curious, why can't I use "greatly" instead of "very" there in my original post?

You could use "greatly" because it is grammatically correct. But it would not be natural. That means it is unlikely to be the word a native speaker would use there.

brianok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You could use "greatly" because it is grammatically correct. But it would not be natural. That means it is unlikely to be the word a native speaker would use there.
Ok, thank you very much for giving me such a native choice of word. However, here is a thing I'd like to explore a little bit with you as a native English teacher. I want to know your precious opinion on that. The thing is that I used the phrase "greatly helpful" because I indeed wanted to convey the actual precise degree to which UE has been helpful to me according to my real subjective perception of it so far instead of anyone else' subjective assessment of it. Thus, I thought "very helpful" was kind of routine, kind of not enough to tell the truth. Yes, UE has been really responsive, really professional, helped me solve some really tricky questions of mine. So, I thought "greatly" would be a better choice of word than "very" there from my point of view. So, what do you think of this?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm just curious - why can't I use "greatly" instead of "very" there in my original post?

Why can't I say "greatly helpful"? I can't get it. I have no idea why you replaced it with "very".
Okay/OK, thank you very much for giving me such a the word a native choice of word would choose. However, there is a thing something I'd like to explore a little bit with you as a native English teacher. I want to know your precious opinion on that it. The thing is that I used the phrase "greatly helpful" because I indeed wanted to convey the actual precise degree to which UE has been helpful to me, according to my real subjective perception of it so far instead of rather than anyone else's subjective assessment of it. Thus, I thought "very helpful" was kind of routine, kind of not enough to tell the truth. Yes, UE has been really responsive, really professional, and has helped me solve some really tricky questions. of mine. So Consequently, I thought "greatly" would be a better choice of word than "very" there from my point of view. So, What do you think of this?
Note my corrections above.

Your reasoning for using "greatly" really doesn't hold water, I'm afraid. In effect, it means the same as "very" in that sentence and, as you already know, it simply wouldn't be worded that way by a native speaker.

brianok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Note my corrections above.

Your reasoning for using "greatly" really doesn't hold water, I'm afraid. In effect, it means the same as "very" in that sentence and, as you already know, it simply wouldn't be worded that way by a native speaker.
"here is a thing" was changed to "there is something". Why so? Why can't I say "here is a thing"? Gramattically wrong?
And, when then can and will one say "greatly helpful"?
And, is "some tricky questions of mine" grammatically wrong?
Thank you.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You changed "here is a thing" was changed to "there is something". Why? so? Why can't I say "here is a thing"? Is it grammatically wrong?
And, When then can and will would one say "greatly helpful"?

Note my changes above. With the exception of my changes to the fourth sentence above, all my changes are based on what a native speaker would naturally say.
I can't think of any context in which I would use "greatly helpful".

brianok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Note my changes above. With the exception of my changes to the fourth sentence above, all my changes are based on what a native speaker would naturally say.
I can't think of any context in which I would use "greatly helpful".
I checked on google, and there are countless instances in which people say "greatly helpful".
Why so?

Status
Not open for further replies.