What is "generalization" and how to avoid it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This is from the book "IELTS Advantage writing skills" by Richard Brown.

1652502619631.png

I'm interested in exercise 2 here, but I provide you with a screenshot of the whole page so that you should understand the context.

The answer key:

1652502641731.png

First of all, for me the sentences in the task did not look too general. They looked acceptable. But anyway, I did something like this:

"Crime rate correlates with unemployment rate, the higher tha latter, the higher the former".

But the answer key is just about adding some adverb or a modal verb. And the sentence is as general as before.

Could you help me understand what "generalization" means? The answer keys are just a bit more sophisticated grammatically.
Does this all mean that we just should enrich our grammatical constructions and use more adverbs, which is a sign of an advanced learner?

Attachments

• 1652502363077.png
    1652502363077.png
    378.8 KB · Views: 0

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
That website/book should have used the word "generalized" instead of "general".
It is talking about qualification. I'll explain that to you with an example.

It is difficult to find a job in a foreign country.

That statement is absolute (too strong). It implies that anyone who is in any country that is not their own will (definitely) encounter difficulty when trying to get a job. In reality, that is not always true. Therefore, you should avoid making such absolute/sweeping statements, because they are difficult (or even impossible) to prove/defend. You can use a variety of techniques to qualify your idea. For example:

It can be difficult to find a job in a foreign country.
It is sometimes difficult to find a job in a foreign country.

or even,
In some countries, it can be difficult for a foreigner to find a job.

When you use qualification, the reader is much more likely to accept your assertion, and you (as the writer of the sentence) are in a good position to stand by it (defend it).

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I completely understand your point, Nonverbis, and I agree. The phrasing 'avoiding generalizations' is very badly expressed. As teechar explains very well above, the aim is to qualify your generalizations, not to avoid them.

Status
Not open for further replies.