what is the meaning of "until we have some distance from both"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I am reading some writing prompts but I don't understand the one below.

"Claim: Knowing about the past cannot help people to make important decisions today. Reason: We are not able to make connections between current events and past events until we have some distance from both."

I don't understand the part I have underlined, especially the words "have some distance"

please explain it in a simple way.

Thanks.

I have posted it on other online forum https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/until-we-have-some-distance-from-both.3782167/ but I don't get it so I post it here

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please wait for responses on wordreference.com before posting here.

Thread closed.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Theol, you haven't underlined any part. I'm opening the thread to give you the opportunity to do that. Please click Edit, and underline the part you have in mind. I also agree with GoesStation that we should wait a little more to see what replies you get on the other forum before we continue the thread here. Give it until tomorrow, and if you don't get useful replies on WR, you can bump this thread.

theol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Theol, you haven't underlined any part. I'm opening the thread to give you the opportunity to do that. Please click Edit, and underline the part you have in mind. I also agree with GoesStation that we should wait a little more to see what replies you get on the other forum before we continue the thread here. Give it until tomorrow, and if you don't get useful replies on WR, you can bump this thread.

Thank you so much
I am still confused so please help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much.
I am still confused so please help.

What do you not understand about the couple of good responses you have received on Word Reference?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"until we can look at both events in retrospect"

We cannot connect present events with past events. Only later can we connect events, when both are in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.