what make the trip more appealing was...

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning101

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi all,
I struggle with the phrase "What make the trip more appealing was...". Please correct me if my sentence is wrong:

"What made the trip even more appealing was the brief respite they were granted from the continuous rain that had made all outdoor activities impossible where they got to do a bit of outing to vent the frustration that had build up throughout the days. "

What I meant was they couldn't be more excited when the rain finally stopped and they got to do a bit of outing.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all,
I struggle with the phrase "What made the trip more appealing was...". Please correct me if my sentence is wrong:

"What made the trip even more appealing was the brief respite they were granted from the continuous rain that had made all outdoor activities impossible. They got to do a bit of outing to vent the frustration that had built up throughout the days. "

What I meant was they couldn't be more excited when the rain finally stopped and they got to do a bit of outing.
The phrase "do a bit of outing" isn't natural in American English. Maybe Brits use it. In the sense of travel, we only use outing as a noun.

I also wonder about "even more appealing." It doesn't sound like an appealing trip. You might try, "What made the trip more enjoyable. . . ."

learning101

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The phrase "do a bit of outing" isn't natural in American English. Maybe Brits use it. In the sense of travel, we only use outing as a noun.

I also wonder about "even more appealing." It doesn't sound like an appealing trip. You might try, "What made the trip more enjoyable. . . ."

Are you suggesting that "appealing" is not an appropriate adjective used with trip or what should an appealing trip look like?

If "do a bit of outing" is not natural in American or British English then how should I change it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... the rain finally stopped and they were able to go out.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We do use "out" as a verb in BrE but exclusively to mean "to reveal something about someone else (usually their sexual orientation)". So "outing" is possible but it doesn't work with "do a bit of" and it's not at all appropriate to the context of post 1.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Right. That's why I restricted it to "In the sense of travel."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you suggesting that "appealing" is not an appropriate adjective used with trip or what should an appealing trip look like?

1. I mean that more only makes sense if the trip was already appealing. Since it rained, it sounds like it was not appealing. So more doesn't work.

2. And since you're looking back at a trip that already happened, appealing isn't a good word choice. We look forward to trips that seem appealing, promising, or attractive. But when we remember a good trip we took, we might say say that it was enjoyable, pleasant, or fun. You could also say that the good weather made the trip better.

But if the trip is over, it's too late for it to be appealing.

If "do a bit of outing" is not natural in American or British English then how should I change it?

It depends on what you mean. You might say you did some traveling, sightseeing, touring, or exploring.
Look up outing and appealing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The phrase "do a bit of outing" isn't natural in American English. Maybe Brits use it.

We do use "out" as a verb in BrE but exclusively to mean "to reveal something about someone else (usually their sexual orientation)". So "outing" is possible but it doesn't work with "do a bit of" and it's not at all appropriate to the context of post 1.

Right. That's why I restricted it to "In the sense of travel."

I was responding to the part at the beginning of the top quote above. I wanted to make it clear that Brits don't use "do a bit of outing" but we do use "out" as a verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.