Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does the phrase "What message do you have for the children" sound natural in English.

===================
One thing you didn't mention is personality.
What message do you have for the children who have failed going to College in the first place?

Source: They are two lines I remembered from an English speaking competition titled Higher Education in 21st Century - Challenges and Opportunities for the Students held many years ago (I am not sure they are exactly what the teacher said).

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"What message do you have for the children who have failed going to College in the first place?"

Yes, the phrase in bold is good. The rest of the sentence could be better though. Going to college is not something you generally fail.
How you say it depends on why they didn't go to college.
"... who didn't get into college." (If they tried and were not successful in their application.)
"... who were unable to go to college." (Includes other reasons, for example they had to work on the farm.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Failed is a strong word to use when you're trying to be encouraging.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
OK. I got the video. He used "fail to get into university" - The version is:

"... you said it is very important to grasp all the opportunities,and obviously you've done it very well.But in reality, not everyone is as lucky to have so many doors open to them.So what would be your message to those unfortunate students who fail to get into university in the first place?"

Does "fail to get into university" sound natural in English?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "cannot get into university" sounds better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's natural enough. (American English.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Does "fail to get into university" sound natural in English?

It's not unnatural, but who didn't get into university sounds a lot better to me.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's not unnatural, but who didn't get into university sounds a lot better to me.

"Didn't" has made it more specific by referring to those students who had failed in college entrance examination.

But the speaker probably meant a more general sense (for past, present and future students altogether). If so, is the past tense "didn't" suitable?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Didn't" has made it more specific by referring to those students who had failed in college entrance examination.

But the speaker probably meant a more general sense (for past, present and future students altogether). If so, is the past tense "didn't" suitable?
"So what would be your message to those unfortunate students who fail to get into university in the first place?"
Good point. It isn't. The sentence you quoted above is natural and not linked to any particular time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.