What ticket reservation does George make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From a test]
64420GF.jpg

46. What ticket reservation does George make?
----
Why is the present simple used? Why not "did" or "has made"? I think that George did/has made it, so we can see that details showed.

By contrast, question 48 in the present simple seems more reasonable to me, because the ticket details don't contain driver's licence number, so he (always) doesn't have to offer that (whenever he makes a ticket reservation).

What do you think?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it depends on the point of view of the speaker or writer. That is, if you put yourself in the shoes of that person when the event is happening you might use present tense as if it is happening as you speak.

(Your English is pretty darn good. I don't see why you need tests.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What level is this question pitched at?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think it is a carelessly designed question. Business class seems wrong because the ticket says Standard Car. The ticket says it's for one adult, but we simply do not know whether a child could travel with the adult. It might well depend on the age of the child. One suspects that a babe in arms might travel free but presumably a kid occupying a seat would need a separate ticket.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What level is this question pitched at?
It's from one of the Elementary Civil Service Examinations in Taiwan.

Business class seems wrong because the ticket says Standard Car.
Yeah, so (C) is not the answer to qeustion 50. :)

The ticket says it's for one adult, but we simply do not know whether a child could travel with the adult. It might well depend on the age of the child. One suspects that a babe in arms might travel free but presumably a kid occupying a seat would need a separate ticket.
You might be right; however, by contrast, (D) is definitely true, which is the answer to qeustion 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.