When a singular noun and a plural noun is joined by or, the verb agrees with the ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
When a singular noun and a plural noun is joined by or, the verb agrees with the nearest noun.

Example: Bullets or a bomb is not allowed on the plane.

The above is given by my son's English language teacher.

Why 'is' used when there is 'and' preceding 'is'? And why is 'nearest' used when there are only two nouns,
'bullets' and 'bomb', in the example sentence?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It should be "are."

If you are talking only of two nouns, then it should be nearer. But that is a very common error. It took me a while to figure out what you were questioning.

I bet the vast majority of native speakers would see nothing wrong with "nearest" used like that. The superlative is often used like this in real life speech.

Bullets or a bomb is not allowed on the plane.
The above is unnatural whether you use "is" or "are".

Bullets or a bomb is not allowed on the plane.
The above is unnatural whether you use "is" or "are".

I agree. I would say "Bullets and bombs are".

I can't recall when I last wanted to take a bullet or bomb onto a plane.

I'm not sure which 'is' you are questioning. Did you have the one underlined below in mind too?
"When a singular noun and a plural noun is joined by or ..."

When a singular noun and a plural noun is joined by or, the verb agrees with the nearest noun.

I don't think this is an absolute rule. The closest noun may affect the verb agreement with some speakers, but not necessarily all.

--> Neither bullets nor bombs are allowed...

I can't recall when I last wanted to take a bullet or bomb onto a plane.

You mean you actually wanted to when you were younger?

Back to the main point (before we are all arrested the next time we try to fly anywhere), that "is" should be an "are."

Back to the main point (before we are all arrested the next time we try to fly anywhere), that "is" should be an "are."
Yes, that's what I was suggesting three days ago. #6.

I know - the point kind of got lost along the way, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back