Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In NF's song When I Grow Up, the kids in the intro say who they want to be when they grow up. I can't hear who the last kid says he wants to be. It sounds like black-something.

It sounds like 'flapper' to me.

He says 'rapper'. It's really obvious! (Am I listening to the right bit?)

The whole video is actually about being one.

We are talking about what the child actually said, not what they meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. It's somewhat indistinct.

Last edited:
That particular child struggles with the letter "r". The "r" in "grow" is also indistinct. He says a cross between "go" and "gwow". The issue with "r" is quite common amongst children of his age. He looks like the youngest of the group.

Perhaps not so obviously 'rapper then?

It was obvious to me. Even more so when you understand that that's what the rap's about.

If I've offended you, I apologise.

I am puzzled rather than offended. If it's like 'wapper', (which my wife hears), how can it be really obvious that he says 'rapper'?

I am puzzled rather than offended. If it's like 'wapper', (which my wife hears), how can it be really obvious that he says 'rapper'?

Firstly, because a 'wapper' isn't a thing. Secondly, because it's very common for people, especially young children, to pronounce 'r' like 'w'. As emsr2d2 has pointed out, we've already heard this in his speech in the word 'grow'. Thirdly, because the song is largely about growing up to be a rapper.

Three very good reasons for concluding that 'rapper' was what he intended to say. However, he didn't. That's really obvious! ;)

Thirdly, because the song is largely about growing up to be a rapper.
However, there's no way of telling that from the title of the song, the mini description under the video screen or any part of the introduction by the children. I listened as far as the end of the line the OP asked about and closed the tab.

• Thanks
Reactions: 5jj
Ah, the importance of context.

Ah, the importance of context.
As always. I can only assume the OP also failed to listen to the song or they might have had a clue to what the word might be!

Thank you! Now that I know he says rapper, I can "hear" him say rapper, in a pareidolic kind of way. It would make sense, considering what the song's about, that the boy is a representation of what NF was like when he was kid.

Back