Which type of essay to use ( Marine Biology)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr BlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello, I’m new here and a native speaker of English, however, I need a lot of improvement.

Where should I start? A lot of people say I’m all over the place and hard to follow, also I would like to stick to as few as possible types of essays, which ones for studying marine biology?

I missed the majority of grade school and now after graduating basic high school with grade 10 basic English, no biology or chemistry experience besides self taught, where do I begin? I’m will to invest 10 years max can I if I worked full time at it go to university of Australia for a doctorate in mid reef studies? I’ve been preparing my self for a while and can upgrade at college. Unfortunately I believe the upgrade would not count towards acceptance into a university just their courses.

would love to talk about my options because mason which does give credits their course was too hard for me at the time a few years back it was grade 11 general English.

Not sure my exact goal but helping people with Asperger’s with my 20 years of learning off and on in regards to marine biology and Christianity I feel has prepared me to at least give university a shot, while helping others with the way they process information and how to teach in a way they learn.

Sorry for going all over the place with this long thread just thoughts I would explain myself more and ask multiple questions, need guidance more then anything and someone to check my writing for coherency.

My dissertation will be called “ Like Water” which is how my writing will be one day, God willing. Ahava nice day, Shalom in your home. Peace, much love.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Where should I start?"

Well, for starters, you need to explain what you mean by that. In other words, where should you start what?

Be sure you finish one thought before you launch another one.

Make sure every sentence has some connection to the one that came before it.

Work on writing complete sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, I’m new here and a native speaker of English. However, I need a lot of improvement.

Where should I start? A lot of people say I’m all over the place and hard to follow. Also, I would like to stick to as few as possible types of essays essay as possible. which ones for studying marine biology? I have no idea what the underlined sentences means.

I missed the majority of grade school and now, after graduating basic high school with grade 10 basic English, and no biology or chemistry experience besides self what I've taught myself, where do I begin? I’m willing to invest 10 years max a maximum of ten years. Can I, if I worked study full time, at it go to university of Australia for get a doctorate in mid reef studies? What are "mid reef studies"?
I’ve been preparing myself for a while and can upgrade at college. I don't know what the underlined part means.
Unfortunately, I believe the upgrade would not count towards acceptance into a university, just their courses. Who does "their" refer back to?

I would love to talk about my options because mason, (What is "mason"?) which does give credits, their course was too hard for me at the time a few years back. It was grade 11 general English.

I'm not sure of my exact goal but helping people with Asperger’s (with my 20 years of learning off and on in regards to marine biology and Christianity) has, I feel, has prepared me to at least give university a shot, while helping others with the way they process information and how to teach in a way they learn.

Sorry for going all over the place with this long thread. I just thoughts thought I would explain myself more and ask multiple questions. I need guidance more then than anything and someone to check my writing for coherency coherence.

My dissertation will be called “Like Water” which is how my writing will be one day. God willing. Ahava Have a nice day. Shalom in your home. Peace, much love.

Welcome to the forum.

Please look very closely at all the corrections I have made above (you need to hit "Click to expand" in order to see the whole text. You have a tendency to join separate standalone sentences with a comma instead of separating them with a full stop. (You might want to Google "comma splice".)

You do need to work on organising your thoughts and getting them into a logical order. Use as few words as possible to express what you mean.

I have no idea if you would be able to get into university to do the course you want if you have no qualifications at all that relate to the desired course.

Dr BlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Where should I start?"

Well, for starters, you need to explain what you mean by that. In other words, where should you start what?

Be sure you finish one thought before you launch another one.

Make sure every sentence has some connection to the one that came before it.

Work on writing complete sentences.
Agreed very Good analysis in regards to completing one thought and relating the other sentences to the previous one! The question is, where do I start my very long journey of being a well understood writer of English?

And, can I choose to narrow my writing down to: God, love, Asperger’s and marine biology? So I can learn or atleast be more interested in self educating myself to the degree that my writing begins to flow and be more coherent.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Agreed. That's a very good analysis in regards to completing one thought and relating the other sentences to the previous one! The question is, where do I start my very long journey of being a well understood writer of English?

And Also, can I choose to narrow my writing down to no colon here God, love, Asperger’s and marine biology no question mark here so I can learn, or at space here least be more interested in self educating myself to the degree that my writing begins to flow and be more coherent?

You can write about anything you want. You'll probably enjoy writing about things you're interested in and know about already than writing about just random topics.
However, before you embark on writing full essays, I suggest that you simply take some time to study a bit more grammar, capitalisation and punctuation. You can use the forum to ask us about individual sentences.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, it seems that you are interested in a lot of different things. I do think you have made a good start. Ask questions! That's the way to get answers.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more from you.

Dr BlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You can write about anything you want. You'll probably enjoy writing about things you're interested in and know about already than writing about just random topics.
However, before you embark on writing full essays, I suggest that you simply take some time to study a bit more grammar, capitalisation and punctuation. You can use the forum to ask us about individual sentences.
Thank you, will do.

Dr BlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Well, it seems that you are interested in a lot of different things. I do think you have made a good start. Ask questions! That's the way to get answers.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more from you.

Thank you, I was here a while back and improved a little. I’m more of a write others stuff and connect the dots kind of person, bullet points, researcher, a reader. Missing the crucial seven years of grade school made a huge burnt bridge in my life!

Love the Forum! Look forward to questioning, Love learning ATM. Feeling blessed for the responses, because tutoring is pricey. I will pay it forward thou, in the future, God willing. Peace

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A few points.

"Thank you!" should get a period or an exclamation point at the end. (Guess which I prefer?)

I'm a little confused about one thing. Do you write for other people?

Try: "I look forward to asking questions and getting answers.

The only ATM I'm familiar with is an automatic teller machine, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Others will also comment.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. I was here a while back and improved a little. I’m more of a "write others stuff and connect the dots" kind of person, I like bullet points, and I'm a researcher no comma here and a reader. Missing the crucial seven years of grade school made was a huge burnt bridge in my life!

I love the forum! I look forward to questioning asking questions. I love learning ATM at the moment. I'm feeling blessed for by the responses, because tutoring is pricey. I will pay it forward thou though no comma here in the future. God willing. Peace.
Please make sure you write complete sentences.

Dr BlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A few points.

"Thank you!" should get a period or an exclamation point at the end. (Guess which I prefer?)

I'm a little confused about one thing. Do you write for other people?

Try: "I look forward to asking questions and getting answers.

The only ATM I'm familiar with is an automatic teller machine, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Others will also comment.
I am guessing you prefer to make a statement! With the words “Thank you!”

I don’t know I’m so confused! especially about the use of comas as well, they seem to be possibly allowed if one wants to highlight a “word” is this correct? Wow, am I terrible, laugh out loud!

Do I use a capital after an exclamation point? Where does the period go when quoting, does it at times go inside the two quotation marks?

I have two books can I take pictures of the table of contents, can I add the pictures here? If so, how? Would I use photobucket, or google documents/images, link?

Sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:

Dr BlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Please make sure you write complete sentences.
Thank you!

I studied Marine Biology for ten years and believe I was never taken seriously until after I proved my theories with write ups along with images after the successful system, or theory was implemented using for example: biological filtration, lower light and increased feedings and propagated corals just to name a few examples, even then I was still not taken seriously.

Do you think that no matter how correct I was, or in my opinion was correct, with solid proof, that my use of the English writing took all the wind out of my sails?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please don't use end punctuation in the middle of a sentence.

We capitalize the word after an exclamation mark, a question mark, or a period (full stop).

More later.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I studied Marine Biology for ten years and believe I was never taken seriously until after I proved my theories with write ups along with images after the successful system, or theory was implemented using for example: biological filtration, lower light and increased feedings and propagated corals just to name a few examples, even then I was still not taken seriously.
The paragraph above is one very long sentence. Why don't you have a go at breaking up into more manageable sentences?

Dr BlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you! Back Hopefully Monday to implement.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about:

I'll make a go at it Monday.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you think that no matter how correct I was, or in my opinion was correct, with solid proof, that my use of the English writing took all the wind out of my sails?
Please redo that using shorter, simpler sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Dr BlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How about:

I'll make a go at it Monday.
I have goals, let me know how this sounds? Up grade Eng, Math, Bio, Chem to grade 12, through the ACE program at St Clair. From there, pre-health at St Clair to laboratory sciences at college half way through with good marks It’ll allow me to transfer to Laboratory Sciences at University of Windsor to Marine Bio, Mid Reef Doctorate at University of Australia? So it will be St Clair college in Windsor, to Lab sciences, mid through with good grades to Laboratory Sciences at University of Windsor, to University of Australia? Be back on Monday to follow up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.