Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

Which is the correct version, Rebels Outpost or Rebel Outpost? Doesn't the "s" signify that its multiple rebels? And rebel meaning "To rebel"? Rebel could also be used as plural couldn't it, in third personcontext?

Used in a sentence. Become part of the Rebels Outpost team or Become part of the Rebel Outpost team.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would say that "rebels' outpost" (with the apostrophe) is the correct version but "rebel outpost" is perfectly natural colloquial English.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would definitely advise using the Rebel Outpost team.

There's no need for a plural 's'.

Cbtree

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say that "rebels' outpost" (with the apostrophe) is the correct version but "rebel outpost" is perfectly natural colloquial English.

What if it describes multiple rebels, plural.

I would definitely advise using the Rebel Outpost team.

There's no need for a plural 's'.

If this is a brand name, for example, this wouldn't follow grammar rules? "RebelsOutpost" brand, used in a sentence Rebel Outpost <noun> ? Can't outpost be considered as a verb?

Another question, if not a brand name. Would this be a one-word modifier ("Rebels") so it goes before the noun? It's an adjective, describing the Outpost. So it would "Rebel" Outpost as you mention.

Also, couldn't "rebels" be the plural of "Rebel" without it being a verb?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If this is a brand name, for example, this wouldn't follow grammar rules? "RebelsOutpost" brand, used in a sentence Rebel Outpost <noun> ?

I don't think I understand your question fully. The grammatical way is Rebel Outpost. There's no need for a plural 's', even if you are imagining lots of rebels.

Can't outpost be considered as a verb?

No, it can't.

Another question, if not a brand name. Would this be a one-word modifier ("Rebels") so it goes before the noun? It's an adjective, describing the Outpost. So it would "Rebel" Outpost as you mention.

Yes. The noun Rebel modifies the noun Outpost, just like an adjective.

Also, couldn't "rebels" be the plural of "Rebel" without it being a verb?

Yes, Rebels is the plural form of Rebel. That's why there's an 's' at the end. However, as I've said, you don't need to use a plural 's' when the word functions as a modifier, even when you're thinking of lots of rebels.

If you've ever seen Star Wars, you will be familiar with the Rebel Alliance—a group that operates from the Rebel Base.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you've ever seen Star Wars, you will be familiar with the Rebel Alliance—a group that operates from the Rebel Base.

Damn, you beat me to the Star Wars reference!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Damn, you beat me to the Star Wars reference!

Sorry! (I do love it when we get a chance for a SW reference.)

May the Force be with you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Faster in future I must be.

Cbtree

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think I understand your question fully. The grammatical way is Rebel Outpost. There's no need for a plural 's', even if you are imagining lots of rebels.

If it's a brand name, for example, it doesn't follow grammar rules, "RebelsOutpost" wouldn't be wrong.

I had to ask about the 's' because I see it used constantly, like "Rebels of mankind" does that require an 's'?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it's a brand name, for example, it doesn't follow grammar rules, "RebelsOutpost" wouldn't be wrong.

Sure, but what makes you think it's a brand name? If it is, then that's that. Otherwise, it's either rebel outpost (adjective and common noun) or Rebel Outpost (proper noun).

In Star Wars, there's a Rebel Alliance (proper noun), so there you can use either rebel (common noun) or Rebel (proper noun) and could say Rebel outpost, using the proper noun Rebel as an adjective to modify the common noun outpost.

I had to ask about the 's' because I see it used constantly, like "Rebels of mankind" does that require an 's'?

Rebels is simply the plural of rebel. Rebels of mankind doesn't make sense. You might just mean rebels.
Is it a brand name? I can't find it in Google. Did you make it up?

It's not clear what you're talking about or referring to.

Explain!

PS: Rebel can be used as a verb, adjective, or noun. But it can only be one of those at a time, not two or three.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If it's a brand name, for example, it doesn't follow grammar rules, so "RebelsOutpost" wouldn't be wrong.

I had to ask about the 's' because I see it used constantly, in things like "rebels of mankind". Does that require an 's'?

As you said, brand names don't have to follow grammar rules. Where have you seen "rebels of mankind"? It sounds unnatural to me but we would need to see the full sentence it appeared in.

Note my corrections above.

Status
Not open for further replies.