Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is a news report. News reports typically uses present tenses to create a sense that the past events are current and ongoing, and relevant to the present day.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is a news report. News reports typically uses present tenses to create a sense that the past events are current and ongoing, and relevant to the present day.
So the sentence doesn’t mean that the Korean fertility rate was reported last year. Am I right? It emphasises the rate is still the lowest this year.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It is a news report.

The tense a person chooses depends on what she wants to focus on. News reports focus on what is going on presently.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
It is a news report.

The tense a person chooses depends on what she wants to focus on. News reports focus on what is going on presently.
I'm practising writing reports for charts and graphs so I'd like to know what tense should be used if it's for common writing, such as IELTS exams.
If I'm taking an exam, should I use the past tense instead?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo I'm not sure what you mean by "common writing", but you seem to be talking about some kind of analysis. If you let me look at one I can comment on it.

nobarrier

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
The use of "has reported" instead of "reported" in the context of South Korea's fertility rate indicates a recent event or ongoing situation that is still relevant at the time of writing.

I am not a teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello @nobarrier and welcome to the forum. Our rules state that any member may answer questions provided they state they are not a teacher if that is the case. I have edited your post by adding the required disclaimer. The easiest way for you to comply in future is to create a signature file saying "Not a teacher".