Kolridg

Member Type
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Isn't the Present Perfect in the second quote the case when both rules are applicable?
1) We use Present Perfect when we focus on action rather than on time when it occurred;
2) We use Present Perfect when we want to designate an action that started in the past and still continues.

I specially provided another example from the same video (first quote about David Bohm) to demonstrate that rule №1 is widely used during the introduction of discussion participants. So I suppose that both rules must be applicable in the second quote, not only the second one.

1:09 - David Bohm is professor of...
"David Bohm is professor of theoretical physics of Birkbeck College, London University in England. He has written numerous books concerning theoretical physics and the nature of consciousness. Professor Bohm and Mr. Krishnamurti have held previous dialogues on many subjects."

1:46 - John Hidley is a psychiatrist...
"John Hidley is a psychiatrist in private practice, who has been associated with the Krishnamurti school in Ojai, California, for the past six years."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
2) We use Present Perfect when we want to designate an action that started in the past and still continues.

"John Hidley is a psychiatrist in private practice, who has been associated with the Krishnamurti school in Ojai, California, for the past six years."
That sentence seems to me to be a classic example of something that started in the past and still continues.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Isn't the present perfect in the second quote the a case when both rules are applicable?

1) We use the present perfect when we focus on the action rather than on the time when it occurred;
2) We use the present perfect when we want to designate an action that started in the past and still continues.

I specially have [specifically] provided another example from the same video (the first quote about David Bohm) to demonstrate that rule №1 is widely used during the introduction of discussion participants. So I suppose that both rules must be applicable in the second quote, not only the second first one.
Note my corrections above.

Status
Not open for further replies.