Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I'm a hypochondriac and I am afraid to get the new virus, so I don't go out. I stayed home for a month. Today I told my mom I got the virus because I didn't feel well. My mom was angry and asked me "Who passed the virus to you?". What she meant was "Since you stayed home every day, you didn't contact anyone, where did you get infected?".

I wonder if the italic sentence is natural.

Yes, but how can you say you get the virus just because you are not feeling well?

I'm a hypochondriac and I am afraid [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] I'll get the new virus, so I don't go out. I've stayed home for a month. Today I told my mom I'd gotten [American English] the virus because I didn't feel well. My mom was angry and asked me "Who passed the virus to you?" [no period ("full stop" in British English)] What she meant was "Since you've stayed home every day, you didn't contact anyone, where did you get infected?" [no period ("full stop" in British English)]
See above.

More natural, in an incredulous voice, would be "How the hell did you get it? You've been at home for a month!"

I don't think Who passed the virus to you? is a natural thing for someone to say in this situation at all.

Mom is much more likely to ask Who gave it to you? or How did you get it? or Who did you get it from?

I don't know why you imagine your mom to need to refer to it as the virus. Is that not obvious from the context of the exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back