Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi. I know that phonetic symbols are used to teach learners how to pronounce words. I need to know why the need to study phonetic symbols instead of just listening to the word I need to pronounce correctly using any speaking Dictionary?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Why do you need to know that?

Eslam Elbyaly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Why do you need to know that?
There is a course that's recommended by a teacher and I am not seeing any need for it. Why do you ask? Does it make a difference?!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you just wish to know the way to pronounce individual words, then you don't need to be able to use phonetic symbols these days. Most online dictionaries will provide a sound version of the words they list.

If you wish to discuss aspects of pronunciation, word stress, sentence stress, dialect differences, etc, then a knowledge of at least phonemic symbols is invaluable.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The
I need to know why the need to study phonetic symbols instead of just listening to the word I need to pronounce correctly using any speaking Dictionary?

Then why study anything? You may argue that you don't need to study grammar, either—you can just listen to what native speakers say and then copy them.

By studying things, we raise our awareness of how those things work. This in turn gives us a better understanding and equips us with ways to deal with things that we've had no prior experience of.

Last edited:

Eslam Elbyaly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The

Then why study anything? You may argue that you don't need to study grammar, either—you can just listen to what native speakers say and then copy them.

By studying things, we raise our awareness of how those things work. This in turn gives us a better understanding and equips us with ways to deal with things that we've had no prior experience of.
Totally different story. I'm thinking It might had a value before speaking dictionaries exist.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. I know that phonetic symbols are used to teach learners how to pronounce words. I need to know why the I need to study phonetic symbols instead of just listening to the word I need to pronounce correctly using any speaking dictionary.

Note my corrections above. Your sentence starting "I need to know why ..." is not a question so it should finish with a full stop.

There is a course that's recommended by a A teacher has recommended a course and I am not seeing can't see/don't see any need for it. Why do you ask? Does it make a difference?!

trabuquena

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My passions are vocabulary, pronunciation and phonetics.
A course will probably go into depth and give you a really good insight into this crazy language and how it works.
Good dictionaries where you can hear the word and see the phonetic symbols are an excellent resource
A course will be useful but only if you are prepared to commit to it.

Icha Masruroh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Not a teacher

I think learning phonetic symbols is also important because phonetics is part of learning pronunciation. By studying or understanding phonetic symbols, we become more aware of the pronunciation of a word. And in my opinion, if we are aware of the pronunciation of the word it will be better, after all, what's wrong with learning it? because we will get a knowledge. You can learn phonetics easily by using a dictionary or it can be an online dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.