Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, speaks during a Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee hearing in Washington, DC, United States, on Tuesday, January 11, 2022. Bloomberg/Bloomberg via Getty Images

Fauci, 81, will continue to work from home and, following the protocols recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), will not report to his office until he tests negative for COVID-19. .

Source: NEWSRND Dr. Anthony Fauci is infected with coronavirus. He is fully vaccinated and has only mild symptoms

It appears to me that "will not report to his office" refers to "will not report (his condition about COVID infection every day) to his office". Am I on the right track?

No. If you "report to your office", you turn up to work.

He's tested positive so he will work from home. He won't report to his office until he tests negative.

No. If you "report to your office", you turn up to work.

He's tested positive so he will work from home. He won't report to his office until he tests negative.

Turn up to work in his office? Working from work is still work.

What does "report" mean anyways?

Obviously, it means he won't physically go to his normal workplace, since he's tested positive for Covid. He can still work from self-isolation.

Is the use of the word "report" unusual there?

In this era of Internet, you can report anywhere anytime regardless you work at home or office, after all.

Is the use of the word "report" unusual there?

In this era of the internet, you can report anywhere anytime regardless you work at home or office, after all.
No, it's not unusual but we only use "report" when attending a place of work outside our home. We don't report for work in our living room, but we do report for work at our office. That's why "report to his office" was used in the original.

In my previous job, there were clear instructions for what to do if, for some reason, someone couldn't attend their normal place of work. The instruction was, more or less, "You must report for work to your closest/next closest station and identify yourself to the person in charge". I should point out it was a Civil Service job so there were suitable offices all over the country. For a while, I lived in a town just outside Gatwick Airport but my usual place of work was in London. On one occasion, there was a train strike and I couldn't get to London. I was obliged to go into Gatwick and work my eight-hour shift there instead.

No, it's an extremely common use of the word in this context. See intransitive definitions 1b and 1c.

I think it may have originated in the military, where you have to verbally announce your presence as you report for duty. However, I could well be incorrect on that origin. There was then a phsyical record or 'report' of who showed up at what times.

Since some jobs require you to clock in or let others know you're at work, we extended the use of 'report' to circumstances where it actually just means something more like 'show up for work' or 'come to work', even if your position doesn't actually require you to formally report your presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back