Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
We like to believe that learners are actually reading and taking our advice. Replying to a post reminding you that you need a closing punctuation mark at the end of every sentence with another post without a closing punctuation mark doesn't give us much hope that you're taking any notice.
Source: moderator

Could "with" be replaced by "along with"?

Last edited:

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Is "another post without a closing punctuation mark" intended to mean "another post which is without a closing punctuation mark"?
2. Is "like to believe" intended to mean "prefer to think"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Is "another post without a closing punctuation mark" intended to mean "another post which is without a closing punctuation mark"?
2. Is "like to believe" intended to mean "prefer to think"?
1. It's not "intended to mean" that. It does mean that!
2. Not really, no. It's more like saying "I choose to believe that learners are heeding our advice, because it's better for me to believe that (than to believe that they're ignoring me)".

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Are you saying that the inner meaning of "like" is "choose" even though its literal meaning is "prefer"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@GoldfishLord Two things. One, I have never heard of an inner meaning before. Two, I'm pretty sure she didn't mean that.

(This hurts my head )

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I intended "the inner meaning" to be interpreted as "the underlying meaning".

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does "like" mean literally "prefer"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you saying that the inner meaning of "like" is "choose" even though its literal meaning is "prefer"?

Yes, like in this case is similar to 'prefer'.

'Literally'? No word literally means another word. We can say that both words convey a similar meaning.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The words "literally" and "prefer" should change places.

As has already been stated, it can mean "prefer" in the sense that you like one thing more than another.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
I disagree with Tarheel and jutfrank. Like does not mean prefer. As emsr2d2 said earlier, "Prefer" means "like something/someone more than something/someone else".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I disagree with Tarheel and jutfrank. Like does not mean prefer.

I don't like to say that like 'means' prefer but rather that it has a sense of expressing preference when followed by a to-infnitive.

As emsr2d2 said earlier, "Prefer" means "like something/someone more than something/someone else".

Yes, it's implied in the core sense that there's something else. In the context of emsr2d2's sentence, it means, in her words, 'choose to believe' one thing over another. Both 'choose' and 'prefer' have such an implication.

I'm reluctant to call a preference a 'choice', since the word choice implies an action. A preference is a pure mental state, not an act. If I prefer tea to coffee, I'm not actually doing anything in the way that I am doing something if I choose tea over coffee. For that reason, 'prefer' is a better synonym of 'like' than 'choose', in my opinion.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't like to say that like 'means' prefer but rather that it has a sense of expressing preference when followed by a to-infnitive.
Once again, I don't agree.

I like to visit my offspring at least once a year. I see no expression of preference there.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I like to visit my offspring at least once a year. I see no expression of preference there.

It is a kind of preference, yes. You could also put it like this: I organise my life in such a way that I visit my offspring once a year. For me, that's a preference. Here are some perhaps more illustrative contexts:

I like to have the light turned off when watching TV.
He likes to smoke a cigarette with a cup of coffee.
She likes to get up late on Sundays.

I wonder how you used to teach this particular sense of like (like + to-infinitive) without using the word 'preference'.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I very carefully stated that in that context it does (or can mean) "prefer". If I say I like strawberry fruit bars (frozen treats) more than the others that doesn't mean I dislike the others. (I like them all!) What it does mean is that I prefer strawberry fruit bars to the rest of them.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I very carefully stated that in that context it does (or can mean) "prefer". If I say I like strawberry fruit bars (frozen treats) more than the others that doesn't mean I dislike the others. (I like them all!) What it does mean is that I prefer strawberry fruit bars to the rest of them.

No, it doesn't mean 'prefer' in those contexts. We're talking here specifically about the sense of like when followed by a to-infinitive verb.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
We like to believe that learners are actually reading and taking our advice. Replying to a post reminding you that you need a closing punctuation mark at the end of every sentence with another post without a closing punctuation mark doesn't give us much hope that you're taking any notice.

It seems to me that "with" means "together with, in addition to".
I wonder what you think about that.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's more important to understand what the sentence means -- much more important.