Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.
I am not sure a native speaker will understand these sentences but the idea and joke is that this dish is good enough to be offered to a queen. How do I make it sound more natural?
1. "Their favourite food is eggplant in sour cream. If you can make it with tomatoes it will be a dish for a queen."

2. "Their favourite food is eggplant in sour cream. If you can make it with tomatoes it will be good enough to be served for a queen." Or "worth a queen"?

3. "Their favourite food is eggplant in sour cream. If you can make it with tomatoes it will be worth a queen."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Only #1 is worth considering.

The usual expression is 'This dish is fit for a king', but I don't see why you can't change 'king' to queen' in these days of equal opportunity.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Only #1 is worth considering. Forget the others.

The usual expression is 'This dish is fit for a king', but I don't see why you can't change 'king' to queen' in these days of equal opportunity.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Only #1 is worth considering.

Thank you. Regarding the word choice. It isn't wrong to use "dish" in my sentence, is it? Instead of "make" I can use "cook". Am I right? The choice of verbs confuse me when we I am talking about cooking.
For example, "cook" or "make" a dish or food, dinner, lunch, meal. Do all of the sound natural in BrE?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you. Regarding the word choice. It isn't wrong to use "dish" in my sentence, is it? No.

Instead of "make" I can use "cook". Am I right? Yes. The choice of verbs confuses me when we I am talking about cooking.

For example, "cook" or "make" a dish or food, dinner, lunch, meal. Do all of them sound natural in BrE?
Yes.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's possible. You may hear 'It's my turn to do dinner tonight'.

HINT #1: You have a habit of making a negative statement followed by 'is it'? Like this: "Do" is never used, is it?

It would be more natural to ask a simple question: Is "do" ever used?

HINT #2: You don't need to put your thread titles in quotation marks, unless they're part of a quotation – such as Can I say "worth a queen"?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You also might hear something like "come over for dinner on Saturday. We're doing wings on the grill."

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It's possible. You may hear 'It's my turn to do dinner tonight'.

HINT #1: You have a habit of making a negative statement followed by 'is it'? Like this: "Do" is never used, is it?

It would be more natural to ask a simple question: Is "do" ever used?

HINT #2: You don't need to put your thread titles in quotation marks, unless they're part of a quotation – such as Can I say "worth a queen"?
I remember there was a sentence with "never" in a tag question. Since it was in a book I thought it was correct. It was a similar sentence. "She never speaks French, doesn't she?" I wrote "doesn't" instead of "do."

I think one of the teachers advised me against not using quotes in thread titles.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And remember to use fit: a dish fit for a king, a dish fit for a queen.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. "Worth a queen" means "of the same value as a queen". Unless you're talking about chess, it suggests that you've attached a cash value to a member of the royalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.