Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Science Magazine offers a headline of "Wound healing headway" on its homepage. By clicking it, it jumps to the content as below:

Activation of TRPA1 nociceptor promotes systemic adult mammalian skin regeneration

Source: https://immunology.sciencemag.org/content/5/50/eaba5683

Wound healing headway
Wound healing in mammalian skin often results in fibrotic scars, and the mechanisms by which original nonfibrotic tissue architecture can be restored are not well understood. Here, Wei et al. have shown that pharmacological activation of the nociceptor TRPA1, which is found on cutaneous sensory neurons, can limit scar formation and promote tissue regeneration. They confirmed the efficacy of TRPA1 activation in three different skin wounding mouse models, and they also observed that localized activation could generate a response at distal wound sites. TRPA1 activation induced IL-23 production by dermal dendritic cells, which activated IL-17–producing γδ T cells and promoted tissue regeneration. These findings provide insight into neuroimmune signaling pathways in the skin that are critical to mammalian tissue regeneration.

===============================

Does "headway" here mean "progress (that is slow and difficult)"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, exactly. Someone is making progress on healing wounds.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does "headway" here mean "progress (that is slow and difficult)"?
Have you found a definition of "headway" that includes those (or similar) adjectives? Don't read more into a text than the words say.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In your quote's context I prefer Merriam-Webster: "motion or rate of motion in a forward direction". The quotation doesn't say anything about the process in question being difficult.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Microsoft Bing Dictionary:

Headway: progress, especially when this is slow or difficult.
"Especially" in a dictionary definition means "frequently", not "usually" or "always".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
And Microsoft Bing dictionary is not a highly respected lexicon.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In your quote's context I prefer Merriam-Webster: "motion or rate of motion in a forward direction". The quotation doesn't say anything about the process in question being difficult.

This "Microsoft Bing dictionary" is special that it appears to have directly cited, by Bing search engine, Oxford Dictionaries without stating its source. Compare:

Oxford Dictionaries: headway: 1 Forward movement of a ship or boat, especially when this is slow or difficult.‘the ship was making very little headway against heavy seas’
1.1Progress, especially when this is slow or difficult.
‘the firm is finally beginning to make headway’

Source: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/headway

(Microsoft Bing dictionary): headway: 1. forward movement of a ship or boat, especially when this is slow or difficult.
"the ship was making very little headway against heavy seas"
progress, especially when this is slow or difficult.
"the firm is finally beginning to make headway"

Source: https://cn.bing.com/search?q=headwa...8-7&sk=&cvid=C94F394D062A4C949495580ECC3B1EC9

They both are identical. I said in my previous post that it was from Microsoft Bing dictionary because it was what Bing search presented. What I actually thought in mind was that it was from Oxford Dictionaries which is one of the most prestigious and reliable dictionaries in the world.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Especially" in a dictionary definition means "frequently", not "usually" or "always".

I considered two factors:

(1) "Especially" states the use is statistically significant and should be prioritized in choosing.

(2) History tells us that humans have been struggling for thousands of years to obtain a cure for skin healing without leaving scar. The medical progress has been a slow and difficult one.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Bill Gates got his start by lying to IBM that he had an operating system, then hastily plagiarizing CP/M. (I know this for certain because I was using CP/M on a DEC Rainbow before the IBM PC and DOS were ever heard of.) Once a plagiarist always a plagiarist.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Bill Gates got his start by lying to IBM that he had an operating system, then hastily plagiarizing CP/M. (I know this for certain because I was using CP/M on a DEC Rainbow before the IBM PC and DOS were ever heard of.) Once a plagiarist always a plagiarist.
He bought a CP/M clone, if I remember right.

He and Paul Allen wrote their first Microsoft product, a BASIC interpreter, on a DEC PDP-10 computer running an Altair emulator which they also wrote. While they were on the flight to Albuquerque to demonstrate it to the customer, they realized they hadn't written the bootstrap loader that would be needed to get the interpreter started on the target hardware — something that wasn't necessary on the emulator. So Gates and Allen wrote the bootstrap loader on a yellow pad, in binary code, with nothing to test it on.

They arrived at Altair headquarters to give their demonstration, keyed in the bootstrap loader, and watched as the computer woke up, read in the interpreter's code (I think that was on paper tape), and presented the BASIC prompt. They were now college sophomores on the way to their first million dollars.

A good friend of mine was their suite-mate at Harvard. Somewhere I have a letter from him where he wrote about his suite-mate who'd dropped out because he was making so much money selling software for personal computers. They'd recruited my friend to help with the BASIC interpreter, but he was more interested in continuing his regular studies. He's done very well in life, but is many billions away from Gates's net worth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.