Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm looking for the name grammarians give to using you in sentences that state general facts and observations when the outcome doesn't depend on who the performer would be, in a similar way we could use we or one.

"You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs."
"You can't spell families without lies."
"You don't simply walk into Mordor."

In this kind of sentence, I'm not telling you, my dear reader, that you, personally, don't have enough skill to do these things. It's a general fact or observation and, to me, it looks like you functions as something of a dummy pronoun, just to supply the sentence with a subject, but I suspect grammarians have a proper term for this use of you.

In Polish, we have a dedicated grammatical structure for this kind of sentence, a structure English doesn't have. This makes students from Poland sometimes mistake such sentences for being addressed by the speaker, personally. I'm trying to find some papers on this structure or exercises, but I don't know what to type in Google. Could you help me out?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not many people still use one.
I do, but "you" comes much more naturally to me. (It's possible that this forum has influenced me to use "one" more than I otherwise would.)

Last edited:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
One might say one sounds more formal and a bit old-fashioned, and you couldn't argue against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.