you need to put some distance between you and other person to maintain social distan

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
When you go out or go shopping or stand in the queue you need to put some distance between you and other person to maintain social distancing.

Please check my sentence.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Say "keep a distance" or "allow some distance".
Or just say "comply with social distancing requirement". Everyone would know what it is nowadays.

Add a comma after "queue".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my opinion "put some distance" is an idiom. We use it to indicate that we intend in future to avoid someone or something we have associated with in the past. For example: Now that you've quit using booze (or drugs or whatever intoxicant) you really need to put some distance between yourself and your friends who are still using. The expression long predates the current Covid-19 crisis.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In my opinion "put some distance" is an idiom. We use it to indicate that we intend in future to avoid someone or something we have associated with in the past. For example: Now that you've quit using booze (or drugs or whatever intoxicant) you really need to put some distance between yourself and your friends who are still using. The expression long predates the current Covid-19 crisis.

So that is used figuratively rather than physically.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]When you go out or go shopping or stand in the queue[/STRIKE] In any public place, you [STRIKE]need to put some distance between you and other person to[/STRIKE] must maintain social distancing.

As is often the case, you used far more words than necessary. There's no need to specify "go out", "go shopping" or "stand in a queue". The requirement for social distancing applies whenever you're outside your own home.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As is often the case, you used far more words than necessary. There's no need to specify "go out", "go shopping" or "stand in a queue". The requirement for social distancing applies whenever you're outside your own home.

How would you say it, if the virus wasn't around? What is the word for day to day life?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How would you say it, if the virus wasn't around? What is the word for day to day life?
If the virus weren't around, you'd have no need to even think of social distancing.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If the virus weren't around, you'd have no need to even think of social distancing.

But there must be a way to say it because you cannot stand too close to someone. Am I correct?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you go out or go shopping or stand in [FONT=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, segoe ui, Roboto, helvetica neue, Arial, noto sans, liberation sans, sans-serif, apple color emoji, segoe ui emoji, segoe ui symbol, noto color emoji]a[/FONT] queue[FONT=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, segoe ui, Roboto, helvetica neue, Arial, noto sans, liberation sans, sans-serif, apple color emoji, segoe ui emoji, segoe ui symbol, noto color emoji],[/FONT] you need to put some distance between you and other people to maintain social distance.

Done!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Or you can just say, "When you go out, you need to maintain social distance.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So that is used figuratively rather than physically.
Yes, e.g.: I decided to put some distance between my family and me to preserve what was left of my sanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How would you say it[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] if the virus wasn't around? What is the word for day-to-day life?
I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want to know other terms for social distancing? You can call it:

- standing six feet away from people.

- keeping people at arm's length. (Ted, this is another common figurative expression, e.g.: I like to keep the police at arm's length.)

- standing away from other.

- giving yourself some elbow room. (Ted, this is another, e.g.: I moved out of the city because I wanted elbow room.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But there must be a way to say it because you cannot stand too close to someone. Am I correct?
You certainly can stand too close to someone. That's how Covid gets passed along. That's why we have social distancing.

The question is unclear. There must be a way to say what?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're talking about Covid, the rules on social distancing are already perfectly clear.
If you're talking about times before/after Covid, if you stand too close to someone, you can say that you're "invading their space". Everyone has a different opinion on what "too close" is. Some people don't mind other people standing right by them, practically touching them. Other people get a bit twitchy when other people come within half a metre or so of them. Everyone's different!
Also, where you are matters. In a queue at a supermarket, you wouldn't expect the next person in the queue to be touching you. At a gig, if you're in the standing area, you'd expect to be crammed in so that everyone's bodies are touching.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How close is too close varies by culture. I recall reading that in America too close is just inside the bad breath zone, while amongst Austalian males any distance is too close. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.