... you really must have got to grips with the absolute basics first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Again, you have made very basic mistakes. If you're going to try to write longer sentences, you really must have got to grips with the absolute basics first. Using "I were" shows us that you are still not ready and that you have not been studying at the right level.
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/280891-schedule post #3

a. If you're going to try to write longer sentences, you really must have got to grips with the absolute basics first.

b.
If you're going to try to write longer sentences, you really must get to grips with the absolute basics first. (My sentence)

Do they mean:

a. If you're going to try to write longer sentences, you really must have got to grips with the absolute basics first (before).

b. If you're going to try to write longer sentences, you really must get to grips with the absolute basics first (now).

Am I right?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
kadioguy

I do not see the point in repeating the pair of sentences (a & b).
The difference is that the present perfect tense refers to that specific instance (OP's current position of having to have done A before doing B) while the present tense talks about something in general. It is insignificant.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I do not see the point in repeating the pair of sentences (a & b).

I assume:

(a) means that "if you're going to do something, you really must have done another thing first before". For example,

If you're going to play basketball now, I think that you really must have finished your homework.

(b) means that "if you're going to do something, you really must do another thing first now". For example,

If you're going to play basketball later, you really must finish your homework (now).

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
kadioguy
You are merely restating the two sentences without explaining.

P.S. It is a question of having done it earlier or having to do it now, which makes no difference since it has not been done.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
You are merely restating the two sentences without explaining.

I hope the following will make them clearer:

(a) means that "if you're going to do something, you really must have done another thing first before".

The speaker is thinking that the "another thing" should have been done in the past.

(b) means that "if you're going to do something, you really must do another thing first now".

The speaker is thinking that the "another thing" should be done now.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
If you're going to try to write longer sentences, you really must have got to grips with the absolute basics first.
You really need to have got to grips with the absolute basics first, before attempting to write longer sentences.
You need to reach/attain that level first.
The use of the perfect indicates a state (in this case language proficiency level).

Does that help?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
a. If you're going to try to write longer sentences, you really must have got to grips with the absolute basics first.

You really need to have got to grips with the absolute basics first, before attempting to write longer sentences.

You need to reach/attain that level first.

The use of the perfect indicates a state (in this case language proficiency level).

Does that help?
Thank you, teechar. :)

Then how about this one? What different effect exists between them?

b. If you're going to try to write longer sentences, you really must get to grips with the absolute basics first.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The basic meaning is the same, but the focus is different.
The perfect aspect implies duration. In other words, it takes time to learn the basics.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The perfect aspect implies duration. In other words, it takes time to learn the basics.

What do you think about my posts #3 and #5? :)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
No. Those inferences are not correct.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

The thing about attaining a level and duration associated with the present perfect tense isn't covered in the grammar books. What about the simple present?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
What do you mean?
The present perfect connects the past to the present. Does that not imply a durative aspect?

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
c. You really need to have got to grips with the absolute basics first, before attempting to write longer sentences.

d. You really need to get to grips with the absolute basics first, before attempting to write longer sentences.

What different effect exists between them? :-?

Then how about the present simple? Does it simply make a suggestion?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I'm not going to keep repeating the same answer. I've had enough. This is not the first time you've done this, Kadioguy. You take hold of one point and grind it to oblivion, even after plenty of discussion and after you've received lots of replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'm not going to keep repeating the same answer. I've had enough. This is not the first time you've done this, Kadioguy. You take hold of one point and grind it to oblivion, even after plenty of discussion and after you've received lots of replies.
I am sorry, but I don't think the question has been fully explained. Even tedmc can't really understand, let alone me.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The present perfect connects the past to the present. Do you understand that?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I've had enough. This is not the first time you've done this, Kadioguy. You take hold of one point and grind it to oblivion, even after plenty of discussion and after you've received lots of replies.

I didn't know you had such an impression of me. Having such an impression, you still replied to my thread here. Thank you for your help.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The present perfect connects the past to the present. Does that not imply a durative aspect?

In this case the use of the present perfect seems more like to me that you have (already) done/got A, so you are qualified to do B.

The present perfect connects the past to the present. Do you understand that?

Yes.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
In this case the use of the present perfect seems more like to me that you have (already) done/got A, so you are qualified to do B.
Fine. Then that also solves the problem.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
P.S. It is a question of having done it earlier or having to do it now, which makes no difference since it has not been done.

I now find that this answer may have already solved my question. :roll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.