Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
You seem like a nice person. I'd like to get to know you better.

I wrote the above in my manuscript. However, someone told me that seem like sounds rude, because it implies that you are not really a nice person. Is that true? In that case, how should I reword it?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Given that you don't know them better, it's probably better not to be too certain about how nice they are. If you say you are a nice person, your character might sound a bit creepy.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You've been on this forum quite a while. You have had plenty of time to notice that we always call out users who ask questions on multiple forums without making it clear to each one that they have asked elsewhere.
Here's a reminder - if you post the same or similar questions on other forums, you must provide a link to the threads on those forums, along with an explanation of why you were unsatisfied with the responses you got there.
No one is spying on anyone. Many of our members (teachers and students alike) belong to more than one forum so it's natural that they will spot duplicate questions.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
On this occasion, whilst the thread titles are identical, the content is substantially different, so a simple reminder is in order.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Here's a reminder - if you post the same or similar questions on other forums, you must provide a link to the threads on those forums, along with an explanation of why you were unsatisfied with the responses you got there.
Do I have to explain? Usually, when I post on multiple forums, I do it simultaneously, so that it is more likely that at least one of them will reply soon.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And it is very likely that one of us will waste our time responding to your question on one thread only to find that it has already been answered on another. You have been here long enough to know that we ask members not to do this.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do I have to explain? Usually, when I post on multiple forums, I do it simultaneously, so that it is more likely that at least one of them will reply soon.
Yes, you need to tell us if you have posted on another forum. The fact that you're doing it simultaneously is actually worse! You need to learn the art of patience. Post on one forum. Wait a couple of days. If you don't receive any responses, or if the responses you get don't answer your question, post on a different forum, including a link to any responses on other forums. It's really very simple.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Members who persist in wasting our time by failing to do that soon find themselves banned.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Members who persist in wasting our time by failing to do that soon find themselves banned.
I apologize. I didn't know that there was a problem if I posted on multiple forums simultaneously. I won't do it again.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was on WR for a while (as Carolinian), but I don't know how to access it like I do this one, and I have enough to keep up with.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I was on WR for a while (as Carolinian), but I don't know how to access it like I do this one, and I have enough to keep up with.
What do you mean you don't know how to access it? You don't remember your password?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, that's part of it.

I used to get on when somebody would post a link to it here, but they don't do that anymore.

The UsingEnglish link always shows up on Google search, but WR doesn't

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status