Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
I am searching for a state when you are in a tough situation. For example, imagine you are in an important ceremony. All the guests are famous and important. You should be very very polite. You shouldn't eat a lot, you shouldn't talk a lot. Overall, you should be very polite and you cannot easily do what you always do. You should keep watching your behaviours. You wouldn't be relaxed. You would have a little stress. What do you call this?
We say:" This person has Roodarbayesti (رو دربایستی) .
How should I say it in English?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Re: An appropriate phrase showing you are not relax

I cannot correct the title. I think "you are not relaxED" is correct.
Sorry I had an stupid mistake. :oops:

I cannot correct the title. I think "you are not relaxED" is correct.
Sorry I had an stupid mistake. :oops:

I have changed the thread title for you so that it contains the phrase you are querying. Make your titles short and to the point. You didn't need "an appropriate phrase showing ...", just the sentence in question.

I need more options. "tense" is good but I need a word that shows you are n a situation where others are very important and you are supposed to be too polite.

I need more options. "​Tense" is good but I need a word that shows you are in a situation where others are very important and you are supposed to be too polite.

In what sort of situation do you feel it's necessary to be too polite?

I said; for example in a very formal ceremony.

You feel you must spend the evening walking on eggshells.

You doubled the problem!
What does this strange phrase mean? :shock:
I couldn't find the meaning in dictionaries nor in Wikipedia.

Does this phrase have a positive meaning or negative? I'm searching for a negavige one. Is it good if you walk on eggshells? Or do you like these kinds of people who don't take every thing easy?

It is used to describe a situation where you have to be very careful to not make someone angry or make a mistake.
Most people don't like having to be so careful.

I guess you could say "John always acts like he's walking on eggshells. I wish he'd just relax" but usually it's more like "John is terrified of his father-in-law and they have very different political view. He says he always feels he has to walk on eggshells while he's at their house."

In your original example: This event is very important and I'm very nervous about it. I'll be walking on eggshells all night, for sure.

You're nervous, and anxious to do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back