Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Did you hear someone saying GI meaning "To clean (barracks, for example) thoroughly for or as if for an inspection"?

Did you hear someone saying GI meaning "To clean (barracks, for example) thoroughly for or as if for an inspection"?
No, I've never heard that.

I am not a teacher.

Nor I.

:up: Note - Am Eng only, if at all (now). The british army jargon for menial tasks usually take the form '<sort-of-thing>-bashing' for example 'square-bashing' = drill on the parade ground, 'spud-bashing' = peeling potatoes, 'crock-bashing' = Washing up... (these terms may all have died out since my eldest brother did his National Service in the late '50s). I don't remember what, if anything, he said for cleaning. A general informal word for cleaning in Br Eng is the verb 'blitz' - but this is not specifically army jargon.

b

In the US military the acronym 'GI' refers to an enlisted person in, or a veteran of, any of the U.S. armed forces, especially a person enlisted in the army.

'GI' is also a slang term used in the military to indicate a 'general inspection' of the barracks. "The men GI'd the barracks before the general came to inspect."

i hv not hear this before

i hv not hear this before
Welcome to the forums, habayommy! :up:

The slang term for 'general inspection' (cleaning barracks) is seldom used outside of the military. So, you probably have never heard it used in this manner. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back