Essay : Who is the architect that you pay attention most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moodevil

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Please help me correct my English.I am practising my English because I plan to further my
studies next semester. I will have an examination soon! pls correct essay and pls comment essay stucture. I dont know, can you understand it?

For last essay I would to say thank you for tedmc and Tarheel very much.
I will re-write it soon, within this Friday.

This is essay is about architecture: Who is the architect that you pay attention most? Describe and explain reason of your attention with historic background.

There are a lot of interesting Japanese architects , each architect is different, some of them design their building by concern about material, some of them concern about form or sustainability and so on.

It is quite difficult for me to say who I pay attention the most or what is the architecture that I think it is the best. There are many aspects that I should to concern if I want to design a perfect house such as user’s perception, form, function, context, human behavior etc. Because nobody perfect, no one can design everything that they think or concern into their design drawing. It depends on time limit, budget or law also.

Now, I think the architect concerning about material and form that I pay attention the most is Terunobu Fujimori. He is an architectural historian who start to design the first building when the age of 44.

I think his designs always surprise me and all of Thai people because his architecture looks like some houses coming from Japanese animation. Even through some of Thai people doesn’t study architect, but I believe everybody like it. We love Japanese animation.

I think his design looks like sculpture or symbolic art more than a house that is designed for commercial purpose. As I research, He was graduated in history of Japanese modern architecture from Tokyo University. His inspiration ,the way to use material or the way to design architecture come from a mud house that he found between he traveled in Mongol. His ideas , the ways to design architecture are, the first – The building must dissimilar to any architecture at that time ,or look like something traditionally European or Japanese, but at the same time, he wanted to stay away from anything too contemporary, the second – The building must use natural material for finishing, we can use steel, concrete for structure but finishing must be Neolithic style or natural material. He call “international vernacular architecture style”

There are many Fujimori’s ideas that make me realize why these building are good. Because, the way he choose and treat material, the idea how he make furniture, the way that he concern about surrounding. The one building of his project that I love is Student Dormitory for Kumamoto Agricultural College. This building is one of the Kumamoto Artpolis project, in order to raise quality of public project. He was request to use local wood in this area. It is the one of many projects that represents his idea and I have been visit this building too.

At the foreground of this dormitory, He made an embankment from surplus soil in order to separate the campus building and the dormitory visually. You will find a small sloping pathway, going up and down from the green gate. He said that you can refresh your mind just like after you climb a small hill.

In front of the building, there are free stand columns which penetrate through the roof. He said that his idea come from the main pillar in a center of Japanese traditional , respect as a god and may refer to a column located on one side of a took alcove. For me, this column can link my eye to the blue sky, make me feel like I close to nature. In my country, we respect the main pillar when we build a new building like Japanese but nobody has idea to use it in modern architecture style like Fujimori. he can link some ornament from past to architecture in our period.

Not only free stand columns which penetrate through the roof to the sky, you can find rain gutter and some furniture (for example: wash basin and chandelier) in the building that made by Fujimori’s hand also. Inside the building, you can find the floor which was finished with thick cedar panels .It have different sizing base on natural. On the wall you can see the texture that made by clay. Some part of the texture on wall is mortar and some part of it is clay. High between floor and ceiling is not too high or too small for student.

He said that there are two kind of column, one hidden inside the wall- he choose local cedar, other exposed in the entrance hall or dinning- he choose Japanese red pine which bend when they grow .There are many column in the dining room, In order to emphasize the sense of being in the forest, he hide the beams into a ceiling also.

In conclusion, I think his design idea is emphasize about relationship between architecture, nature and culture. He uses natural material and traditional techniques surviving in rural areas. He concern about traditional culture. Everything that he realize is reveal on his work. Compare to my country, we have vernacular architecture, we have traditional Thai architecture, but nowadays, we don’t have any idea to develop it much. Our developing base on tourist’s desire because we use it as a resort not from local people. It better if we can apply traditional Thai architecture into architecture in our period, think more about natural material and culture like Fujimori do.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an essay is about architecture: Who is the architect that you pay attention to (admire?)most? Describe and explain the reasons [STRIKE]of [/STRIKE] for your attention to the particular architect, with historical background.

There are a lot of interesting Japanese architects. Each architect is different with different areas of interest and expertise; some of them design their buildings by being more concerned about materials, some of them are more concerned about form or sustainability and so on.

It is quite difficult for me to say who I pay attention to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] most or what[STRIKE] is the[/STRIKE] architecture produced by the architect that I think [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] is the best. There are many aspects that I should [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] be concerned with if I want to design a perfect house, such as the users’[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] perception, form, function, context, human behavior etc. Because nobody is perfect, no one can **design everything that they think or concern into their design drawing. It also depends on time limit, budget constraint or [STRIKE]law[/STRIKE] the statutory requirements [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE].

** I am not sure what you mean by that
What about : No architect can incorporate all that they seek to achieve into their design.

(to be continued)
not a teacher

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I suggest the title of the essay to be changed to : The architect that I admire most

[STRIKE]Now, I think[/STRIKE]
The architect [STRIKE]concerning about [/STRIKE] whom I consider a master in the use of materials and form [STRIKE]that I pay attention the most[/STRIKE] is Terunobu Fujimori. He is also an architectural historian. He [STRIKE]who [/STRIKE]started to design [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] his first building [STRIKE]when [/STRIKE] at the age of 44.

I think his designs always surprise me and [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE](I am sure not all Thais know him) [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] many Thai people because his architecture looks like [STRIKE]some [/STRIKE] the houses [STRIKE]coming[/STRIKE] from the work of Japanese animation. [STRIKE]Even through some of Thai[/STRIKE][STRIKE] people doesn’t study architect, but[/STRIKE] I believe [STRIKE]everybody [/STRIKE] Thais generally like[STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them, including those who have not studied architecture. [STRIKE]We[/STRIKE] Thais generally love Japanese animation.
I think his design of houses looks more like sculpture or symbolic art [STRIKE]more [/STRIKE] than [STRIKE]a [/STRIKE]houses that [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE]are designed for commercial purpose. [STRIKE]As I research,[/STRIKE] He [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] graduated in [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE] History of Japanese modern architecture from Tokyo University. He got his inspiration [STRIKE]the way to[/STRIKE] on the use of natural materials [STRIKE]or the way to [/STRIKE] and design [STRIKE]architecture come[/STRIKE] from a mud house that he [STRIKE]found [/STRIKE]came across [STRIKE]between he traveled[/STRIKE] when he was traveling in Mongol. His ideas on the way[STRIKE]s [/STRIKE]to design architecture are: [STRIKE]the first[/STRIKE] firstly, the building must [STRIKE]dissimilar to any architecture at time ,or[/STRIKE] look like [STRIKE]something[/STRIKE] traditional[STRIKE]ly [/STRIKE]European or Japanese architecture, but at the same time, he wanted to stay away from anything too contemporary. [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE]Secondly' the building must use natural materials for [STRIKE]finishing[/STRIKE] the finishes. We can use steel and concrete for the structure but the [STRIKE]finishing[/STRIKE]finishes must be in Neolithic style***, [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] which used natural materials. He call it “international vernacular architecture [STRIKE]style[/STRIKE]”.

***Neolithic style is the style of the Stone Age, not about the use of natural materials!
Architecture which uses a lot of natural materials is called eco-friendly architecture/natural architecture/organic architecture.

not a teacher

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
[STRIKE]There are[/STRIKE]Many of Fujimori’s ideas [STRIKE]that [/STRIKE]make me realize why[STRIKE]these[/STRIKE] his building are [STRIKE]good[/STRIKE] well designed. It is because (,) of the way he chooses and treats materials, [STRIKE]the idea[/STRIKE] how he [STRIKE]make[/STRIKE] designs furniture and [STRIKE]the way that he [/STRIKE] his [STRIKE]concern about[/STRIKE]consideration for the surroundings. [STRIKE]The one building of his project[/STRIKE] His building that I love is the Student Dormitory for Kumamoto Agricultural College. This building is [STRIKE]one [/STRIKE] part of the Kumamoto Artpolis project, [STRIKE]in order[/STRIKE] to [STRIKE]raise quality of[/STRIKE] improve public projects. He was requested to use the local [STRIKE]wood[/STRIKE] timber in this area. It is the one of the many projects that represents(exemplifies) his ideas [STRIKE]and [/STRIKE] that I have [STRIKE]been[/STRIKE] visited [STRIKE]this building too[/STRIKE].

[STRIKE]At[/STRIKE] In the foreground of this dormitory, he [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] created an embankment from surplus soil in order to separate the campus building [STRIKE]and [/STRIKE] from the dormitory visually. You [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] find a small sloping pathway, going up and down the embankment from the green gate. He said that you can [STRIKE]refresh[/STRIKE] relax/calm your mind just like after you have climbed a small hill.

In front of the building, there are free-standing columns which penetrate through the roof. He said that his idea came from the main pillar in a center of the [STRIKE] Japanese[/STRIKE] traditional Japanese temple, respect as a god and may refer to a column located on one side of a took alcove. For me, this column [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]link[/STRIKE] lead/direct [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE]one's eyes to the blue sky, [STRIKE]make me feel like I [/STRIKE] bringing one closer to nature. In [STRIKE]my [/STRIKE] our country, we respect the main pillar when we build a new building like the Japanese but nobody has [STRIKE]idea to use[/STRIKE] though about using it in modern architecture [STRIKE]style[/STRIKE] like Fujimori. He can link some [STRIKE]ornament[/STRIKE] architectural elements from the past to contemporary architecture [STRIKE]in our period[/STRIKE].

Note: I do not understand the underlined part.

not a teacher

moodevil

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Thank you very very much for your help.

This is an essay is about architecture: The architect that I admire most.

There are a lot of interesting Japanese architects. Each architect is different with different areas of interest and expertise; some of them design their buildings by being more concerned about materials, some of them are more concerned about form or sustainability and so on.

It is quite difficult for me to say who I pay attention to most or what architecture produced by the architect that I think is the best. There are many aspects that I should be concerned with if I want to design a perfect house, such as the users’s perception, form, function, context, human behavior etc. Because nobody is perfect,no architect can incorporate all that they seek to achieve into their design.(Thank you very much!) It also ​depends on time limit, budget constraint or the statutory requirements.

The architect whom I consider a master in the use of materials and form is Terunobu Fujimori. He is also an architectural historian. He started to design his first building at the age of 44.

I think his designs always surprise me and many Thai people because his architecture looks like houses from the work of Japanese animation. I believe Thais generally traditional European like them, including those who have not studied architecture. Thais generally love Japanese animation.

I think his design of houses looks more like sculpture or symbolic art than houses that are designed for commercial purpose. He graduated in h History of Japanese modern architecture from Tokyo University. He got his inspiration on the use of natural materials and design from a mud house that he came across when he was traveling in Mongol. His ideas on the way to design architecture are: firstly, the building must not look like European or Japanese architecture, but at the same time, he wanted to stay away from anything too contemporary. Secondly, the building must use natural materials for the finishes. We can use steel and concrete for the structure but the finishes must be eco-friendly ***which used natural materials. He call it “international vernacular architecture”.

He use "Neolithic" but I believe it mean eco-friendly.
eco-friendly can represent his concept. I agree with you.
Thank you very much!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There are not only free-standing columns which penetrate through the roof[STRIKE] to the sky[/STRIKE] and beyond, you can find rain gutters and some furniture (for example: wash basins and chandeliers) in the building that were made by Fujimori’s hands also (Are you sure?). Inside the building, you can find the floor which [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] is finished with thick cedar panels.[STRIKE] It[/STRIKE] They [STRIKE]have different sizing base on natural[/STRIKE] come in different sizes based on the sizes of the natural timber. On the walls you can see the texture [STRIKE]that made[/STRIKE] created by clay. Some parts of the texture on the wall is mortar and some parts of it is clay.[STRIKE]High between floor and [/STRIKE]The ceiling is not too high or too small for students (why students?).

He said that there are two kinds of columns: one type hidden inside the walls which he chose local cedar, the other exposed in the entrance hall or din[STRIKE]n[/STRIKE]ing area, he chose Japanese red pine which bends when it grows .There are many columns in the dining room. In order to [STRIKE]emphasize[/STRIKE] create the sense of being in the forest, he[STRIKE] hide[/STRIKE] concealed in[STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the ceilings [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE].

In conclusion, I think his design [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE]emphasizes [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] the relationship between architecture, nature and culture. He uses natural materials and traditional techniques surviving in the rural areas. He [STRIKE]concern about[/STRIKE] values traditional culture. Everything that he [STRIKE]realize[/STRIKE] appreciates is revealed on his work. [STRIKE]Compare[/STRIKE][STRIKE]d to[/STRIKE]Whereas in my country, we have vernacular architecture[STRIKE], we have[/STRIKE] and traditional Thai architecture, but [STRIKE]nowadays, [/STRIKE]we [STRIKE]don’t [/STRIKE] do not have [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] much idea of how to develop [STRIKE]it [/STRIKE] them much. [STRIKE]Our developing base on[/STRIKE] Our designs only cater to the tourists[STRIKE]' desire[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]because we use it as a [/STRIKE] resorts and not [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE]for the local people. It would be better if we [STRIKE]can apply[/STRIKE] use the ideas from traditional Thai architecture [STRIKE]into architecture in our period[/STRIKE] on contemporary buildings, [STRIKE]think more about[/STRIKE] with due consideration given to the use of natural materials and the respect [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to the local culture like what Fujimori does.

not a teacher

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
moodevil

Are you an architectural student? Where did you do your study? What course are you going to further your studies in and in what language?

moodevil

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
thank you very much tedmc.
I already sent message to yr inbox.
Thnx!