A black person born in privilege or power is white? Yes sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I understand "A black person born in privilege or power is white?" as "A black person who is born in privilege or power is the equivalent of a white person?" (I immediately thought of Barack Obama's family, which is protected by privileged services). Am I on the right track?

==============

Phil Johnson
@Phil_Johnson_
I love this.

(The video):
Officer 1: A black person born in privilege or power is white?
Protester: Yes sir, a white person.
Officer 1: We're done.My black wife is calling me.I'm going to have a conversation.

Protester: That doesn't mean that you're not racist, sir. Just because you have a black friend or a black wife.

Source: https://twitter.com/Phil_Johnson_/status/1276019343252262913

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know what you mean by 'protected by privileged services'. If you're referring to his Secret Service guards, all former US presidents and their immediate family receive that for the duration of their lives after leaving office.

Honestly, it's kind of difficult to follow the sheer idiocy of her logic, but presumably the protester is making the absurd suggestion that a black person who was born into privilege or power is no longer "truly black" - whatever she thinks that may mean.

It would appear the policeman is repeating what she apparently said earlier, in order to make sure he's understanding what she's trying to say. Once she confirms that is indeed what she means, he ends the conversation. He realizes there's no point in trying to discuss the matter rationally with her.

If you're asking whether or not she'd consider Obama "white" - you'd have to ask her. Her logic is all over the map. He of course did hold a position of power, but whether or not she'd consider him being "born into it", only she can say. Good luck discussing it with her.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When she says that a spouse is just an acquaintance, she has little in the tank.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, you interpreted the statement correctly.

The phrase privileged services doesn't mean anything. A service can't be privileged. Only a person can.

Status
Not open for further replies.