Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, everyone. I want to sound casual, informal. Is 'a certain type of' good here? Thanks!

In many countries, it's a tradition to have a certain type of food on a certain type of occasion. For example, in China, we have dumplings at the Spring Festival.

It's a bit repetitious.

It's OK, but I would use "...on special occasions" to avoid repeating "a certain type of".

It's OK, but I would use "...on special occasions" to avoid repeating "a certain type of".

Thanks, everyone. Like this? 'A certain type of food' is in singular but 'special occasions' is in plural?
In many countries, it's a tradition to have
a certain type of food on special occasions.

Last edited:
Like this? 'A certain type of food' is in singular but 'special occasions' is in plural?
In many countries, it's a tradition to have
a certain type of food on special occasions.

Yes. Like that.

Which is better?
In many countries, it's a tradition to have a certain type of food on special occasions.
In many countries, it's a tradition to have a certain type of food on a special occasion.

I'd use the first, and I'd say "it's traditional" and "to have certain foods".

I'd use the first, and I'd say "it's traditional" and "to have certain foods".
Thanks, emsr2d2.
Does 'traditional' and 'tradition' mean the same here?
It's traditional/a tradition to have certain foods on special occasions.

In the quote below, they definitely don't mean the same.
"This is the center of the city.It's traditional to have a big tree, but this is not tradition," he said. --Los Angeles Times

"This is the center of the city.It's traditional to have a big tree, but this is not tradition," he said. --Los Angeles Times
He meant this is not a time when we can follow the tradition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back