Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I have made a story based on Idioms of unit 1 of Oxford word skills and would like to hear your points.

They were running like mad to catch the train without fail. Out of the blue, the Captain order to stop the train just for them. They must lose face in the distance for bothering other passengers. However, passengers turn a blind eye to them.
We get into state that makes a lot of sense. However, if all else fails, we can do it.” they said to themselves.
How on earth are you tired? We are waiting for you.” Captain said.
We just would stay clear of our health.” they said.
How come we are waiting for them?” Said a passenger to Captain angrily.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have made a story based on Idioms of unit 1 of Oxford word skills and would like to hear your comments.

They were running like mad to catch the train [STRIKE]without fail[/STRIKE]. [STRIKE]Out of the blue,[/STRIKE] The captain ordered the train to stop just for them. They must lose face [STRIKE]in the distance[/STRIKE] for bothering other passengers. However, the passengers turned a blind eye to them.

“We get into state that makes a lot of sense. [I don't know what that sentence means. Can you explain what you mean?] However, if all else fails, we can do it,” they said to themselves.

“How on earth are you tired? [I don't understand that sentence. Can you explain?] We are waiting for you," the captain said.

“We just would stay clear of our health,” they said. [I don't understand that sentence, either. Explain.]

“How come we are waiting for them?” said a passenger to the captain angrily.
I think you misunderstood some of the idioms. Tell us more about what you mean.

Thank you!

MK22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I just try to use the following idioms and match them together to make the mentioned story:

be in/get into state: become anxious or upset.
Makes a lot of sense: logical thing to do
How in earth: used to emphasize a question when you are angry.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What you're trying to do here, MK22, is admirable but a little misguided, if you don't mind me saying. You're trying to force these idioms into context too much. This means that you're losing accuracy.

Try choosing just two idioms at at time to practise. Your idea of writing a mini-story is great, but limit your focus to just two idioms per story.

Status
Not open for further replies.