[General] According to the text, is it correct that reading books is illegal in this town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korry

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I am not a native English speaker, so I am a bit confused about this reading. Please help me out anyone. The question is, as I understand, reading books is not allowed in the town Readalot from a piece of news below thanks....

"Readalot, Pencilvania – According to numerous eyewitness reports, a major and shocking occurrence has happened in the community of Readalot, Pencilvania. The first reports indicate that on March 17, 2004, two unidentified students were caught holding and reading various textbooks and novels. An official investigation was launched yesterday to determine the truth about this matter. Since the investigation was announced, several witnesses have come forward to give testimony. One parent’s comment was, “It couldn’t have been my child! My son is an underachiever, and only watches TV or plays video games. Someone must have forced those poor kids. I’m sure it wasn’t their fault.”
Statistics show that only twenty-two percent of American adolescents read voluntarily. The community is in disbelief that local children would independently do such a thing. The names of the suspects have not been released, and they have not been interviewed. Their parents, however, have been contacted. The adolescents, both students at a local middle school, were not in class at the time. An investigation is underway to determine the cause of this strange and unexplained event.
Next week, a town meeting will be held to discuss the likelihood of future reoccurrences. Contact the local Reading Renegade Association for further information. Although the case remains unsolved, the community is keeping close watch on the students to determine the cause of this learning experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's right. You do understand this is not a real town, don't you?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... and that Pencilvania is not a real state.

Status
Not open for further replies.