[General] Address punctuation

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,511
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Over the years, it seems that the use of the semi-colon has changed. Which of the following would be considered grammatically correct?

The Martin Group, LLC; 138 Jackson Street; Matawan, NJ 07747
or
The Martin Group, LLC, 138 Jackson Street, Matawan, NJ 07747

I learned over 30 years ago that the semi-colon was to be used. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Salvatore Diecidue

Over the years, it seems that the use of the semi-colon has changed. Which of the following would be considered grammatically correct?

or

I learned over 30 years ago that the semi-colon was to be used. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Salvatore Diecidue

Well, it was clearly used long before I learnt to write addresses as I have never seen it used (in the UK, that is).

When writing the address in one line as you have done, each part would be separated by a comma, but when addressing an envelope, no comma is necessary.

or

Thank you,
Salvatore Diecidue
This is something that depends on your post office. You should address your mail in a way that is most suitable for your post office's automated directing machines.
In Aus, we no longer use any punctuation. This prevents the machine reading a ; for a 1, etc.

Mr AB Smith
The Martin Group
LLC
138 Jackson Street
Matawan NJ 07747
USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back