Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was reading an article by Grammar Girl on comma splices (http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/comma-splice?page=2), and I noticed that she used a comma in a way that I have seen before other places. I've done some digging, but I haven't been able to find the rule on why this is done in these cases. Here is the sentence from the article I am referring to: "People will argue that authors should be allowed to make stylistic choices about writing, and include comma splices or whatever quirks they want as a matter of art." The "and" isn't acting as a coordinating conjunction, so why is there a comma? I'm hesitant to dismiss it as a mistake since Grammar Girl knows her stuff and I have seen commas used like this in other places. Any information you can give me to help me wrap my head around this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
EmaNeka: said:
"People will argue that authors should be allowed to make stylistic choices about writing, and include comma splices or whatever quirks they want as a matter of art."

The question of "allowed" does not arise. People can and do use our beloved language any way they want. And those who are exceptionally good at it, e.g. Ernest Hemingway can earn a pretty good living doing so.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Why do you say, 'The "and" isn't acting as a coordinating conjunction'? How would you parse it?
The comma seems to be optional, but I'd use it.

EmaNekaf

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry if I was a little unclear. I'm still learning how to talk about grammar in proper grammar terms. I'll try to explain it more clearly. Typically, you put a comma before and when it is before two independent clauses (The cat sat on the mat, and the cat was fat). In the sentence from the article, however, "People will argue that authors should be allowed to make stylistic choices about writing" is an independent clause. On the other hand, "include comma splices or whatever quirks they want as a matter of art" is not, so why is there a comma? You say the comma seems to be optional. Why is this? What are the rules on optional commas? How do you use them and why?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This is your sentence:
"People will argue that authors should be allowed to make stylistic choices about writing, and include comma splices or whatever quirks they want as a matter of art."
"People will argue that authors should be allowed to make stylistic choices about writing, and [authors should be allowed to] include comma splices or whatever quirks they want as a matter of art."
"People will argue that authors should be allowed to make stylistic choices about writing, and [[People will argue that] authors should be allowed to] include comma splices or whatever quirks they want as a matter of art."

There are far more than two clauses here, but let's forget about that for now. That 'and' is a coordinating conjunction.

In "I invited Bill and Jane", the 'and' is also a coordinating conjunction, but doesn't require a comma before it.

http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/coordinatingconjunction.htm

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are differences of opinion about when to put commas before and. One particular view is known as the Oxford Comma because Oxford University Press used it. Punctuation within a sentence is not always an exact science.

Status
Not open for further replies.