After graduation from college, I was offered a white-collar job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
After graduation from college, I was offered a white-collar job in an office in Manhattan. We had large windows overlooking a busy street. I stood by one of them one day, when a young lady walking on sideway looked up and made eye contact—naturally, I waved.
That was the beginning of making others happy. When things were 1 , I stood in the window and waved at the passengers who looked up and this made me smile – work stress was washed away.
Late afternoon was the best time. Rush-hour traffic filled the street with cars and bused. After waving became boring, I tried to improve may act. I made signs: ‘Hi!’ ‘Hello!’ and ‘Be Happy!’ I posted them in the window and waved.
Christmas Day was drawing near. Job cuts were announced. Several co-workers would lose their jobs. Stress reached a high point. Everyone felt anxious. We needed to do something to break the tension.
While working one night, a red jacket drew my attention. I used my imagination and turned it into a piece of Santa’s clothing. The next day my co-workers gathered around me and laughed for the first time in weeks. Just then my boss passed by. He looked up, saw me, shook his head and left.
I thought I caused trouble. Soon my boss phoned me: ‘Mike, come to my office!’ when in his office, I felt very nervous. ‘Mike …’ Tears appeared in his eyes, as I sat silent and confused. When he regained control, he said, ‘Thanks, Mike! With the job cuts, it’s been hard to enjoy the Christmas. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.’
That evening, and every evening of the Christmas season, I stood 2 in the window. People smiled at the strange Santa. My heart filled with joy, because I made those people smile after a long day at work.
1. A. important B. slow C. right D. bad
2. A. luckily B. eagerly C. naturally D. proudly
(taken from a test paper)

I chose D for 1 and C for 2. But the answers are B for 1 and D for 2.
What’s your opinion?
Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I agree with the test-paper answers. There is a problem here, though "... when a young lady walking on sideway looked up...".

Status
Not open for further replies.