[General] After so many years of inner struggling...(30 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I wrote a short paragraph about saying goodbye to the past. My parents liked play mahjong when I was very young. At that time, they played for the whole nights and I woke up in bad dreams but I didn't see them at home. Most of the time, I was scared. I hated them. But after I grew up, starting working, I began to realize that they might not mean it. I also know that they had did their best to give me a good life. The other day I said this to my friend and all the pain went away. I wrote the following:

After so many years of inner struggling, I finally decided to let go of the past. To unfist my tight fist and release my pain, then to embrace the future.

I want to say that I was feeling innerly painful for many years. But I finally decided to let go of the past and let go of my pain, to unclench my tight fists around what happened to me in the past and to embrace the future.

Please help me with the italic sentence. I want to keep all those words but I know it's not natural.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

I wrote a short paragraph about saying goodbye to the past. My parents liked to play mahjong when I was very young. At that time, they played for [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] whole nights and when I woke up [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] from bad dreams, [STRIKE]but I didn't see them at home[/STRIKE] they weren't home to comfort me. Most of the time, I was scared. I hated them. But after I grew up and started working, I began to realize that they might not have meant [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] to upset/scare/neglect me. I also [STRIKE]know[/STRIKE] realized/understood that they had [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] done their best to give me a good life. The other day I said this to my friend and all the pain went away. I wrote the following:

After so many years of inner [STRIKE]struggling[/STRIKE] struggle, I finally decided to let go of the past; to [STRIKE]unfist[/STRIKE] unclench my [STRIKE]tight[/STRIKE] fists, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] release my pain, and then [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] embrace the future.

I want to say that I was feeling [STRIKE]innerly painful[/STRIKE] emotional pain for many years, but I finally decided to let go of the past and let go of my pain, to unclench my tight fists around what happened to me in the past and to embrace the future. Yes, that's clear. That's almost exactly what you wrote in your paragraph. There's little point explaining what you mean by using the same words!

Please help me with the italic sentence. I want to keep all those words but I know it's not natural.

See above.

I know you said you wanted to keep all of those words, but you can't keep "unfist"; it's not a word.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I appreciate your help, emsr2d2. Reading your corrections is a real pleasure and I can therefore learn a lot from you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You might say that when you were very young you used to have nightmares.

Lately you've been counting the words. Is there a reason for that?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Lately you've been counting the words. Is there a reason for that?

I just don't want to take up much of your time so I decided to make it under 120 words or less.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just don't want to take up too much of your time so I decided to make my posts 120 words or less.

Well, that does make some things easier.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.