Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

- All she saw was/were the same white walls of the hospital.

Could you please tell me which one I should use - was or were? To me, both could be OK, but I am not that sure. (P.S I tried to write such a sentence)

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use "were".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'All' can be used with a singular verb, as in "All she saw was a white wall". You have to choose the verb before you get to the noun which determines the verb though.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Ademoglu:

1. I agree that "All she saw were the same white walls of the hospital" sounds the most natural.

2. There may still be a few very strict teachers in 2014, however, who feel that the "correct" answer is "was."

a. One expert* feels that "all" = "the one thing." Therefore he gives examples like these:

i. "All that came to him ... was voices."
ii. "Well, all you need is a cup of molasses, 2 teaspoons of vinegar, 3/4 cup of sugar."
iii. "All that remained to be done was the small jobs of touching up and adding refinements here and there."

b. Another expert ** says this: "When all is the subject of the verb to be followed by a plural complement, the linking verb is expressed in the singular."
He gives this example: "All I saw was fields."

c. But even in the 1930s, yet another expert *** admitted that many people were speaking like this: "All that we found of the deer were the ragged hide, some patches of hair, cracked bones, and two long ears."

My respectful advice:

1. If you want to speak natural-sounding English, you should consider following the advice given by the two teachers in this thread.
2. Hopefully, no teacher will have this kind of question on a test, for there are, in the opinion of many people, two "correct" answers.
3. I think that it would take a lot of courage to use the singular in your sentence, for many native speakers would probably tell you that you have made a "mistake."

James

* Wilson Follett, Modern American Usage (1980). Some people consider Mr. Follett much too strict (old-fashioned!).
** R.W. Burchfield, New Fowler's Modern English Usage (1996). Doctor Burchfield was a distinguished scholar, whose positions included Chief Editor of the Oxford English Dictionaries. Nevertheless, some people do not agree with some of his opinions.
*** George Oliver Curme, A Grammar of the English Language (1931). Some people criticize him for being old-fashioned, but he was modern enough even in 1931 to observe that many people were not observing the "rule."

Status
Not open for further replies.