Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I used asterisks to show which parts I am not sure about and I tried to rephrase them. I think it should be "at" not "in high school". Is "in" also correct? The parts in brackets are rephrased. Should I use "the opportunity" or "an opportunity"?

*In/at high school* (at high school) school I realised that I liked to deal with devises and (and since my parents didn't have the opportunity to send me to drawing courses to study architecture) since my parents* didn't have the opportunity to send me to drawing courses to prepare for the architecture department,* I decided that becoming a programmer was also a good option. Throughout high school and early university years I created robots but it was difficult for a girl to get such a job at that time. Most of my hobbies are related to creativity.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Use "in high school" to mean the time when you were going to high school, for example, "When I was in high school...."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you mean by "deal with devices"? Do mean art class? Or courses in architecture (which probably includes drafting)?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say: "Throughout high school and my early university years...."

Did you build robots or just design them? Are you talking about an engineering job?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What do you mean by "deal with devices"? Do mean art class? Or courses in architecture (which probably includes drafting)?
No, I mean designing and building robots. Yes, I am talking about an engineering job.
Can I use "deal with devices?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Create" is wrong, isn't it? And "prepare for the architecture department" too. :S
Since you didn't invent them, yes.

I have no idea what that means. Maybe you're talking about courses you have to take before you take architecture courses, but I'm not at all sure about that.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Since you didn't invent them, yes.

I have no idea what that means.

Maybe you're talking about courses you have to take before you take architecture courses, but I'm not at all sure about that.
Yes, I am. Are my sentences correct in that case? I mean these: " I liked to deal with devises" and "since my parents didn't have the opportunity to send me to drawing courses to prepare for the architecture department"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You misspelled "devices" again, and I don't know what you mean by "deal with devices". (I think I already said that.)

Are you talking about taking courses you have to take before you can get into architecture school, and if so why don't you just say that?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You misspelled "devices" again, and I don't know what you mean by "deal with devices". (I think I already said that.)
I mean designing and making them. So I shouldn't reprase"designing devices" and "making devices" by using "dealing with devices ". Right?
Are you talking about taking courses you have to take before you can get into architecture school, and if so why don't you just say that?
Yes.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're designing devices or making devices then that's what you should say.

Keep in mind that "devices" is rather vague. It could be anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If you designing devices or making devices then that's what you should say.

Keep in mind that "devices" is rather vague. It could be anything.
I see. Thank you so much. Regarding "the opportunity", should it be "the opportunity" or "an opportunity"? If I say "they didn't have the opportunity to send me to drawing courses." I am talking about this particular opportunity to send a child to school.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can send somebody to school. You can send somebody to a school where they take classes in drafting.

I think you really mean they didn't have enough money.

If you have an opportunity to do something that means the circumstances are right. I'm assuming that the building is always there and classes are offered regularly. How did they miss an opportunity?

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You can send somebody to school. You can send somebody to a school where they take classes in drafting.

If think you really mean they didn't have enough money.
Exactly! So it's "an opportunity" in my context not "the opportunity". Right?
If you have an opportunity to do something that means the circumstances are right. I'm assuming that the building is always there and classes are offered regularly. How did miss an opportunity.
So in my sentence "They didn't have an opportunity to send me" not "they didn't have the opportunity to send me". Do I understand you correctly? In what context it would be correct to use "the opportunity"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I apologize for the errors. (I edited that post.) I'm going to have to proofread my posts better.

You can get an opportunity. You can miss an opportunity. You can let an opportunity pass you by. You can seize an opportunity. You can let an opportunity get away from you. You can have an opportunity but not take advantage of it.

You indicated that money was the problem. So it wasn't that they didn't have a chance to spend the money. They didn't have the money to spend.

You seem to really want to use "the opportunity" for some reason. Here's another one. "You've had every opportunity" means the person had plenty of chances.

Are you looking for a reason to use "the opportunity"?

If you don't have the money it doesn't matter if you get a chance to spend it or not.

Try googling "the opportunity".

If you don't have the money to spend it doesn't matter if you get a chance to spend it or not.

I probably have missed something.
🤥

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I apologize for the errors. (I edited that post.) I'm going to have to proofread my posts better.

You can get an opportunity. You can miss an opportunity. You can let an opportunity pass you by. You can seize an opportunity. You can let an opportunity get away from you. You can have an opportunity but not take advantage of it.

You indicated that money was the problem. So it wasn't that they didn't have a chance to spend the money. They didn't have the money to spend.

You seem to really want to use "the opportunity" for some reason. Here's another one. "You've had every opportunity" means the person had plenty of chances.

Are you looking for a reason to use "the opportunity"?

If you don't have the money it doesn't matter if you get a chance to spend it or not.

Try googling "the opportunity".

If you don't have the money to spend it doesn't matter if you get a chance to spend it or not.

I probably have missed something.
🤥
Thank you do much for your detailed explanation. Do you mean that the combination "sending me to drawing courses" is also unnatural and I should use "they couldn't send me to a school where I could take drawing courses?" Such courses could be offered anywhere. Not only at schools. Well, at least here. :/

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean that the combination phrase "sending me to drawing courses" is also unnatural and I should use "they couldn't send me to a school where I could take drawing courses?" Such courses could be offered anywhere, not only at schools. Well, at least, that's the case here.
I'm not convinced that the term "drawing courses" is used anywhere. You can take art classes. You can study technical drawing or architecture.
I have no idea what "drawing courses" means, which means it's not possible to understand the rest.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Rachel Adams
You didn't have the opportunity to go a school where they offer courses in drafting because your parents couldn't afford the tuition.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I'm not convinced that the term "drawing courses" is used anywhere. You can take art classes. You can study technical drawing or architecture.
I have no idea what "drawing courses" means, which means it's not possible to understand the rest.
I meant the courses that teach students to draw. Is "sending someone to art classes" also wrong? For example, "Her parents sent her to art classes."