Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following short paragraph was written by me to express the idea that when in 2005, the technology wasn't as advanced as it is today. We used old-fashioned softwares to chat with friends online. But I do miss/love those good old days because it always brings back good memories betwee us when I think of it. Please help me to correct the following sentences:

Back to 2005, we didn't use WeChat * and we didn't have Wifi service either. But I really miss/love those good times/days chatting with each other online because it always brings back warm memories between me and my friends of that time.

*: WeChat is a kind of apps which became popular in recent 10 years.

I think the underlined word can be deleted. I don't know which word to choose. Also, Is the paragraph coeherent?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. You can leave "service" out of " WiFi service". No "softwares",

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wrote the following short paragraph [STRIKE]was written by me[/STRIKE] to express [STRIKE]the idea[/STRIKE] that, [STRIKE]when[/STRIKE] in 2005, [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] technology wasn't as advanced as it is today. We used old-fashioned [STRIKE]softwares[/STRIKE] software to chat with friends online. [STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] miss/loved those good old days [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] it always brings back good memories [STRIKE]between us[/STRIKE] when I think of it. Please help me to correct the following sentences:

Back [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] in 2005, we didn't have WiFi or use WeChat*. [STRIKE]and we didn't have Wifi service either.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] I really miss [STRIKE]/love those good times/days chatting[/STRIKE] the way we chatted with each other online in those days - [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] it always brings back warm memories. [STRIKE]between me and my friends of that time.[/STRIKE]*: WeChat is [STRIKE]a kind of[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]apps[/STRIKE] an app [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] that [STRIKE]became[/STRIKE] has become popular in [STRIKE]recent[/STRIKE] the last 10 years.

I think the underlined word can be deleted. I don't know which word to choose. Also, is the paragraph coherent?

See above. The main problem was the use of "because". You don't miss those days because thinking about those days brings back warm memories. That's almost tautologous. If you want to use "because" you need to give us actual concrete things about what it was like to chat in those days that you actually loved.

Also note that we weren't using "old-fashioned software" in 2005. In 2005, the software we were using was modern. It's only now that it is deemed old-fashioned.

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
See above. The main problem was the use of "because". You don't miss those days because thinking about those days brings back warm memories. That's almost tautologous. If you want to use "because" you need to give us actual concrete things about what it was like to chat in those days that you actually loved.

Also note that we weren't using "old-fashioned software" in 2005. In 2005, the software we were using was modern. It's only now that it is deemed old-fashioned.

Much appreciated, emsr2d2.

I think the first "loved" between "miss" and "those" should not be used in past tense. May I ask for you used "loved"?

I think the last sentence should be "WeChat is an app.....". Am I right?

Is it wrong to say "Back in 2005"?

I agree with all your comments and they're really helpful!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Why would I have changed your "Back to 2005" to "Back in 2005" if the latter was wrong?

I was about to say that I should have said "Is "Back to 2005" wrong"? Yes, it is.

Much appreciated, emsr2d2!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was about to say that I should have said, "Is 'Back to 2005' wrong?" Yes, it is.

Much appreciated, emsr2d2!
Hi, Silver!

Quotes inside of quotes get single-stroke quotation marks.

If the quotation is a question, put the question mark before the quotation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.