Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
I thought then about so called devil's dozen as it's widely spread among Russian-speaking people. But... as we may see, it was a myth.

I was surprised myself.

I'd like to thank everyone who took part in the discussion. I learned a lot from it!

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I was surprised myself.

I'd like to thank everyone who took part in the discussion. I learned a lot from it!

I'm joining the club, the discussion was VERY instructive. By the way I'm being curious how the orientals treat a person who was born 4-th, 14-th or 24-th :) ?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm joining the club, the discussion was VERY instructive. By the way I'm being curious how the orientals treat a person who was born 4-th, 14-th or 24-th :) ?

***** A NON-TEACHER's COMMENT *****

(1) Just to let you know that here in the United States, it is

considered offensive to use the word "Oriental." The current

word is "Asian."

(a) For Americans, an "Asian" is usually an East Asian (Chinese,

Japanese, Korean, etc.). I think (think) that our British friends
use "Asian" to include people from India and Pakistan.

Respectfully yours,

James

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

"Orientals" is considered an offensive word. You should not be using it.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I'm very sorry about it I wish I'd known it.
But I'm really surprised, I take this word from an English course I get in my country some time ago, in 2001, to be precise. And, of course, I thought I might have trusted these guys, but I was wrong. I begin to think that a lot of books and courses written by non English authors is poor. Freezeframe, what do you think of that? You were probably faced similar problem, weren't you?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm very sorry about it I wish I'd known it.
But I'm really surprised, I take this word from an English course I get in my country some time ago, in 2001, to be precise. And, of course, I thought I might have trusted these guys, but I was wrong. I begin to think that a lot of books and courses written by non English authors is poor. Freezeframe, what do you think of that? You were probably faced similar problem, weren't you?

No, I never took any ESL classes. I didn't know English when I moved here. I learned by immersion. Which is probably not the best idea. :-D

But I'm not surprised about your books (I assume they're written by Russians) having mistakes, especially cultural ones (like what words are inappropriate).

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
No, I never took any ESL classes. I didn't know English when I moved here. I learned by immersion. Which is probably not the best idea. :-D

But I'm not surprised about your books (I assume they're written by Russians) having mistakes, especially cultural ones (like what words are inappropriate).
Why it isn't the best idea? I think it is! At least to the best of my understanding I would never say you were a non-native speaker. You're lucky you didn't have problems with the books written by Russians because sometime they're awesome :)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't think Oriental is offensive per se, but sounds dated, and sounds like Negro, meaning sensitive, without being offensive in fact. Euphemisms become sensitive with a speed directly proportional to their indirectness.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you want to start a discussion in another forum about accidental perjoratives, that's fine, but the original question has been thoroughly answered so I'm closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.