English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi folks,
Could anybody tell me what Lois' last name is?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not really. Sounds like "Lemont" or "Leman" or something vaguely French sounding. The speaker is not very clear.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It might help slightly if you could give us a few more seconds of previous context.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I can't be sure about the surname either, but it may help to know that she sounds Irish because she pronounces the first name as Loyce rather than low-iss. I'd say the last name sounds like Lemance to rhyme with romance.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
So much for my Irish theory! That's out the window, but I still stand by my Lemance/romance hypothesis.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Could it be 'Lemans'? Is that a common surname in whatever part of the US The Golden Girls is set?

(I'm not sure why you really need to know this, emp0608!)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't look like the creators of the show thought her surname was important. I've just gone through the entire cast list for every episode of the show and she's just listed as "Lois" (no surname).

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Jutfrank, I'm writing a script for one of my students. That's why I need it.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Jutfrank, I'm writing a script for one of my students. That's why I need it.

Just make up a surname, based on our best guesses. I'm sure your student won't care and presumably this script will stay in-house (ie it's not for public consumption) so it doesn't matter.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Just make up a surname, based on our best guesses. I'm sure your student won't care and presumably this script will stay in-house (ie it's not for public consumption) so it doesn't matter.
I know it's a very small thing, but I always try my best as a teacher. That's all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know it's a very small thing, but I always try my best as a teacher. That's all.
That's admirable but I'm not sure that copying a name from someone else's work really counts as doing your best. Why don't you make up a completely new name? I assume you're writing the script for your student yourself, and you're not simply transcribing an episode of a TV show.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
That's admirable but I'm not sure that copying a name from someone else's work really counts as doing your best. Why don't you make up a completely new name? I assume you're writing the script for your student yourself, and you're not simply transcribing an episode of a TV show.
I have no intention of making a big issue out of this. I just came across an unfamiliar family name and I thought native speakers might be able to tell easily what it was. Please understand names are sometimes very difficult for us.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no intention of making a big issue out of this. I just came across an unfamiliar family name and I thought native speakers might be able to tell easily what it was. Please understand names are sometimes very difficult for us.
Of course I understand that names might be difficult to understand. It's clear from this thread that sometimes they're difficult for native speakers to make out as well!

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The scripts don't include her last name. At least those I've found. The only one I've found that does include her last name says it's "Le Mons".

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How can you say you haven't found a script containing her last name but also say that you've found one that says it's "Le Mons"?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How can you say you haven't found a script containing her last name but also say that you've found one that says it's "Le Mons"?
I haven't found a script containing her name, except for one, which had "Lois Le Mons" in it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I haven't found a script containing her name, except for one, which had "Lois Le Mons" in it.
That still doesn't make a lot of sense. Say "I've managed to find just one script that gives her surname - Le Mons".

Status
Not open for further replies.