English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi folks,
Could anybody tell me what Lois' last name is?

Not really. Sounds like "Lemont" or "Leman" or something vaguely French sounding. The speaker is not very clear.

It might help slightly if you could give us a few more seconds of previous context.

I can't be sure about the surname either, but it may help to know that she sounds Irish because she pronounces the first name as Loyce rather than low-iss. I'd say the last name sounds like Lemance to rhyme with romance.

So much for my Irish theory! That's out the window, but I still stand by my Lemance/romance hypothesis.

Could it be 'Lemans'? Is that a common surname in whatever part of the US The Golden Girls is set?

(I'm not sure why you really need to know this, emp0608!)

It doesn't look like the creators of the show thought her surname was important. I've just gone through the entire cast list for every episode of the show and she's just listed as "Lois" (no surname).

Jutfrank, I'm writing a script for one of my students. That's why I need it.

Last edited:
Jutfrank, I'm writing a script for one of my students. That's why I need it.

Just make up a surname, based on our best guesses. I'm sure your student won't care and presumably this script will stay in-house (ie it's not for public consumption) so it doesn't matter.

Just make up a surname, based on our best guesses. I'm sure your student won't care and presumably this script will stay in-house (ie it's not for public consumption) so it doesn't matter.
I know it's a very small thing, but I always try my best as a teacher. That's all.

I know it's a very small thing, but I always try my best as a teacher. That's all.
That's admirable but I'm not sure that copying a name from someone else's work really counts as doing your best. Why don't you make up a completely new name? I assume you're writing the script for your student yourself, and you're not simply transcribing an episode of a TV show.

That's admirable but I'm not sure that copying a name from someone else's work really counts as doing your best. Why don't you make up a completely new name? I assume you're writing the script for your student yourself, and you're not simply transcribing an episode of a TV show.
I have no intention of making a big issue out of this. I just came across an unfamiliar family name and I thought native speakers might be able to tell easily what it was. Please understand names are sometimes very difficult for us.

I have no intention of making a big issue out of this. I just came across an unfamiliar family name and I thought native speakers might be able to tell easily what it was. Please understand names are sometimes very difficult for us.
Of course I understand that names might be difficult to understand. It's clear from this thread that sometimes they're difficult for native speakers to make out as well!

The scripts don't include her last name. At least those I've found. The only one I've found that does include her last name says it's "Le Mons".

Last edited:
How can you say you haven't found a script containing her last name but also say that you've found one that says it's "Le Mons"?

How can you say you haven't found a script containing her last name but also say that you've found one that says it's "Le Mons"?
I haven't found a script containing her name, except for one, which had "Lois Le Mons" in it.

I haven't found a script containing her name, except for one, which had "Lois Le Mons" in it.
That still doesn't make a lot of sense. Say "I've managed to find just one script that gives her surname - Le Mons".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back