[Grammar] Causative verb in past possibility

• Thread starter vaibhavmaskar
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,184
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vaibhavmaskar

1. I make him go there. (Simple present tense causative structure)

2. I would have made him go there.(?) Is it right form of Hypothetical past ability causative structure?

3. How we make first sentence in passive causative form?

3. How do we make first sentence in passive causative form?
Yes, 2. is a correct sentence.
You can make the first sentence passive in the usual way. "He is made to go there [by me]". It's not natural.

1. I make him go there. (Simple present tense causative structure)

2. I would have made him go there.(?) Is it right form of Hypothetical past ability causative structure?

3. How we make first sentence in passive causative form?

In my opinion you could say "He was forced to go there", but your first construction doesn't work.

In my opinion you could say "He was forced to go there", but your first construction doesn't work.
Why doesn't it work? "My son doesn't like going to swimming training at 5am every morning, but I make him go there."
Your solution to making a passive changes the verb (from 'make' to 'force') and the tense (from 'present' to 'past'). I don't think this is good advice about how to put a sentence into the passive voice.

Which consruction doesn't work, Mike? I make him go there and I would have made him go there both seem possible to me.

Last edited:
I was talking about the passive. "He is made to go there" doesn't work. I was not clear.

Ah. You were referring to Raymott's sentence, but quoted vaibhavmaskar's.

He is made to go there is fine in BrE, and COCA has several dozen similar examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back