Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Cities are the worst place to be. What does it mean? "To be" what?

I heard it in the movie "The Silence (2019)".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Who said it, and in what context?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Who said it, and in what context?

People were being attacked by weird creatures and government made an announcement that sound attracted them so the people had to be quiet to save themselves. There was a girl who was deaf. She said this because if you have to stay away from noises and sounds then cities are the worst place to be in.

I have forgotten the name of that girl because I didn't watch the entire movie because I don't like these kinds of movies. I started watching that thinking it was like the movie "It Comes At Night" but it wasn't so I didn't watch it but it happened in the beginning of the movie in the first fifteen minutes I think.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People were being attacked by weird creatures, and the government announced that sound attracted them. So the people had to be quiet to save themselves. There was a girl who was deaf. She said this because if you have to stay away from noises and sounds then cities are the worst place to be [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE].

I have forgotten the name of that girl. [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] I didn't watch the entire movie because I don't like these kinds of movies. I started watching it, thinking it was like the movie "It Comes At Night," but it wasn't, so I didn't watch it,. But it happened in the beginning of the movie, in the first fifteen minutes I think.
As you know, we need the name of the movie.

Avoid run-on sentences.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
… except when that information isn't available. We expect members to make their best efforts to tell us titles and authors, but we don't expect them to have photographic memories. It's okay to occasionally say "I'm sorry, but I can't find the name of the film."

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe the film you're referring to is called "A Quiet Place". It has the same premise - humans are attacked by alien monsters who hunt by sound. The only way to survive was to not speak and make no noise when traveling. The original was from 2018, with a sequel in 2020.

Obviously, cities are full of noise, sounds, and even other people. Even walking quietly is difficult when you have to walk on surfaces such as sidewalks and pavement. Consequently, most survivors have adopted to a nomadic lifestyle in the open countryside.

edit: And without giving away the plot, the deaf girl plays a key role in the film.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Avoid run-on sentences.

Why did you strick through "In"? Does "Cities are the worst place to be" mean "Cities are the worst place to be in"?

We don't have to use "In" at the end, right? Does it go well when referring to other things as well apart from cities?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why did you strike through "In"? Does "Cities are the worst place to be" mean "Cities are the worst place to be in"?

Yes.

We don't have to use "In" at the end, right?

No, we don't.

Does it go well when referring to other things [STRIKE]as well apart from cities[/STRIKE]?

It's better with something that encloses you, like a car or a house or a barrel or a straightjacket.
It's not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.