"Additionally, building more facilities and houses in cities is a good way to solve the problem of overcrowding associated with the development..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
"Additionally, building more facilities and houses in cities is a good way to solve the problem of overcrowding associated with the development in question. By doing so, governments will ensure that the quantity of people in each area in cities is not very high."

Is it right to use "will" in this sentence, or should it be "would"? Please, provide an explanation of answer. Just to be clear, I'm talking about this part: "...by doing so, governments will ensure...".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Additionally, building more facilities and houses in cities is a good way to solve the problem of overcrowding associated with the development in question. By doing so, governments will ensure that the quantity of people in each area in cities is not very high."

Is it right to use "will" in this sentence, or should it be "would"? Please provide an explanation of the answer. Just to be clear, I'm talking about this part: "...by doing so, governments will ensure...".
I would use "would" there.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
By doing so, governments will ensure that the quantity number of people in each such urban area in cities is not very high."
Both are possible, but "will" is stronger and more certain than the tentative "would".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How would building more houses (low-rise buildings) in cities help in solving the problem of overcrowding? I thought it should be the other way round - building houses away from the cities that would help as the city dwellers is reduced with people moving out of the cities.

will ensure that the quantity of people in each area in cities is not very high - will ensure that the number of people (population) in the cities is reduced.

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
How would building more houses (low-rise buildings) in cities help in solving the problem of overcrowding? I thought it should be the other way round - building houses away from the cities that would help as the city dwellers is reduced with people moving out of the cities.

will ensure that the quantity of people in each area in cities is not very high - will ensure that the number of people (population) in the cities is reduced
many houses and facilities such as recreational parks are built in an overpopulation city , the number of people in each place in the city

will ensure that the quantity of people in each area in cities is not very high - will ensure that the number of people (population) in the cities is reduced.
I was thinking that if more houses and facilities like recreational centres are built in a city facing overcrowding or overpopulation, there will be fewer people in each area in the city. For example, having more restaurants could mean that many people do not have to eat in one restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.