Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
339.10 another use of may/might: typical occurrences (PEU = Michael Swan's, Practical English Usage. )

In scientific and academic language, may is often used to talk about typical occurrences - things that can happen in certain situations.
With this meaning, might can be used to talk about the past.

1) In those days, a man might be hanged for stealing a sheep.

This site says: https://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/modal-verbs-of-probability.html

We can use could + infinitive to talk about a general possibility in the past (compare with the use of 'can' above):

2) Prices could be high in the sixteenth century.

Q1) Is there any difference between the meanings of "might" in (1) and "could" in (2)?

Q2) If any difference exists between "might" and "could" above, does the same exist between the following?

3) These days, a man may be hanged for stealing a sheep.

4) Prices can be high these days.

339.10 another use of may/might: typical occurrences (PEU = Michael Swan's, Practical English Usage. )

In scientific and academic language, may is often used to talk about typical occurrences - things that can happen in certain situations.
With this meaning, might can be used to talk about the past.

1) In those days, a man might be hanged for stealing a sheep.

It's not wrong, but I would use could. Might usually refers to future possibilities. But not always.

(I'm commenting on American usage. British might (and could!) be different.

This site says: https://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/modal-verbs-of-probability.html

We can use could + infinitive to talk about a general possibility in the past (compare with the use of 'can' above):

2) Prices could be high in the sixteenth century.

Q1) Is there any difference between the meanings of "might" in (1) and "could" in (2)?

It's the same as example 1.

Q2) If any difference exists between "might" and "could" above, does the same exist between the following?

3) These days, a man may be hanged for stealing a sheep.

That can be understood in two ways:

- Hanging is permitted.

- Hanging is possible.

So it would be more clear if it were rephrased.

4) Prices can be high these days.

I've noticed that, too!
Good question!

Q1) Yes.
Q2) Very basically, yes.

I think the usage of "might" given in the OP would be rare. Am I right?

Fairly rare, I'd say, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back