rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The following thoughts crossed my mind. I tried to translate them in English. Could you please help me in finding the grammatical errors in it.

I have been lucky in terms of being affected with Covid 19. In the block of my area, where I have been living, there residents got effected with Covid 19 but they recovered after few days completing their recovery period. No death occurred. Following the norms set by Government, we managed to keep ourselves safe now from it. The thing that worries me that my children have been spending most of their time on laptop taking online classes and this situation is not going to be over soon. Their outdoor activities is almost nil. I sometimes find them frustrated. Mood swing have become a normal routine. Participating in school sports activities and meeting friends there has their own advantages, which they are missing now.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The following thoughts crossed my mind. I tried to translate them into English. (What language was it originally written in?) Could you please help me [STRIKE]in finding the [/STRIKE] correct grammatical errors in it.

I have been lucky[STRIKE] in terms of being affected[/STRIKE] not to have been infected with Covid 19 (How can one be lucky if one has been infected? Have you been infected?). In the block[STRIKE] of my area, [/STRIKE]where I [STRIKE]have been[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]living[/STRIKE] live, the[STRIKE]re[/STRIKE] residents got [STRIKE]effected[/STRIKE] infected with Covid 19 but they recovered after a few days [STRIKE]completing their recovery period[/STRIKE]. No death occurred. Following the [STRIKE]norms[/STRIKE] standard operating procedures set by Government, we managed to keep ourselves safe now from it. The thing that worries me is that my children have been spending most of their time on their laptop taking online classes and this situation is not going to be over soon. Their outdoor activities is almost nil. I sometimes find them frustrated. Mood swing [STRIKE]have [/STRIKE] has become [STRIKE]a normal routine[/STRIKE] the norm. Participating in school sports activities and meeting friends there [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] have [STRIKE]their own[/STRIKE] advantages, which they are missing now.

Covid-19 is hyphenated by the way.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, I would say:

- no deaths occurred.

- their laptops

- outdoor activities are

- mood swings have

Effect and affect are two of English's most difficult words. Even native speakers have trouble with them. You might want to review them — both the noun and verb definitions.

Ted is right. In your text, infected is the best choice.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You might add to that that the data shows that children are the least vulnerable to the virus. So the actions adults are taking make no sense.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Most style guides recommend COVID-19, not Covid-19.

It is good to know the official name which is an acronym. But most news reports only capitalize "C".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is good to know the official name, which is an acronym, but most news reports only capitalize the "C".

emsr2d2

Status
Not open for further replies.