Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

What is a verb or a phrase that can be used to describe the moon glowing from behind a mountain peak? I'm talking about a situation when you can see half the moon and half of it is behind the mountain. Imagine something like this:

13132.jpg

Peeping? Peeking?

Peeping? Peeking?

That is great. Could you use it in the sentence? Is this correct?

The moon peeped from behind the snow-clad peaks.

I think using the past simple makes it sound as if it popped up, had a look round and went away again. I'd use the continuous.

The moon was peeping out from behind ...

I think using the past simple makes it sound as if it popped up, had a look round and went away again. I'd use the continuous.

The moon was peeping out from behind ...

Is this sentence okay?

The half-moon was peeping from behind the snow-clad peaks through a chink in the clouds of the star-studded sky.

I want to suggest it was peeking through the clouds and also peeking from behind the mountain peaks.

The rising moon shone over the peak.

"... the clouds of the star-studded sky" sounds odd. For a sky to be star-studded, I'd expect it to be a clear night (no clouds). Admittedly, the majority of the sky in your photo is star-studded and there are some wispy clouds above the mountains.

The rising moon shone over the peak.

Thanks. I want to also suggest it was peeping through the clouds in the sky. Does this work?

The half-moon was peeping through a chink in the clouds of the star-studded sky and shone over the snow-clad peak.

I know it's awkward. I want to make it smooth.

"... the clouds of the star-studded sky" sounds odd. For a sky to be star-studded, I'd expect it to be a clear night (no clouds). Admittedly, the majority of the sky in your photo is star-studded and there are some wispy clouds above the mountains.

Cross-posted

Do you think this works?

The half-moon was peeping from behind the snow-clad peaks through a chink in the clouds of the sky.

I feel like it's a bit confusing. What about this?

The half-moon was peeping through a chink in the clouds of the sky and shone over the snow-clad peak.

Definitely don't use "the clouds of the sky". Where else would the clouds be?!

Does this work?

The half-moon was peeping through a chink in the clouds of the star-studded sky and shone over the snow-clad peak.

I know it's awkward. I want to make it smooth.
If I could find my penalty buzzer, it'd be blasting now. Fifteen yards for adjective abuse!

If I could find my penalty buzzer, it'd be blasting now. Fifteen yards for adjective abuse!

How would you say it? Is this better?

The half-moon was peeping through a chink in the clouds and shone over the peak.

Definitely don't use "the clouds of the sky". Where else would the clouds be?!

I put sky in there because I wanted to mention "star-studded". Is there a way to talk about stars without mentioning the sky?

How would you say it? Is this better?

The half-moon was peeping through a chink in the clouds and shone over the peak.
Much better, but now there's an inconsistency in the tenses of the verbs I've underlined.

Much better, but now there's an inconsistency in the tenses of the verbs I've underlined.

I see. What if I use peek in the second sentence?

Is "half-moon" okay, by the way?

The half-moon was peeping through a chink in the clouds and was peeking from behind the peak.

Describing the relationship between the moon and the clouds and the mountain peak is very difficult for me right now.

I see. What if I use "peek" in the second part of the sentence?

Is "half-moon" okay, by the way?

The half-moon was peeping through a chink in the clouds and was peeking from behind the peak.

[STRIKE]Describe[/STRIKE] Describing the relationship between the moon, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] the clouds and the mountain peak is very difficult for me right now.

Note my corrections above.

I really don't think you need to try and use two verbs for one thing. Also, unless you did it on purpose, using "peek(ing)" and "peak" so close together sounds a bit odd. How about this?

The half-moon was peeping through a chink in the clouds, just over the mountain peak.

Last edited:
Note my corrections above.

I really don't think you need to try and use two verbs for one thing. Also, unless you did it on purpose, using "peek(ing)" and "peak" so close together sounds a bit odd. How about this?

The half-moon was peeping through a chink in the clouds, just over the mountain peak.

Thanks. That is great. Could I use "barely" instead of just?

The half-moon was peeping through a chink in the clouds, barely over the mountain peak.

Is there a way I can fit "stars" and "the sky" in here?

Thanks. That is great. Could I use "barely" instead of just?

The half-moon was peeping through a chink in the clouds, barely over the mountain peak.

Is there a way I can fit "stars" and "the sky" in here?

I wouldn't use "barely" there. You could use "just".

Honestly - I don't recommend trying to add two more things to that description. You're going to end up with a long, awkward sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back