Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Teaching English speaking through puppetry

I was in charge of the puppetry team in my school and use this method to teach speaking in my classes.

How to proceed:

Devise a 5 to7 minute script and give each of students a role in the play. Students begin working on the design of puppets, props, and backdrops. Have students watch sample videos to learn the basic of puppetry. Teach students how to pronounce all the words in the script, intonations, and puppetry techniques. Each of Students will receive an audio clip of the play. Ask them to listen to the audio clip and repeat their lines as many times as they can at home. Have students record their voice repeating their lines. Discuss their recordings with them and tell them what changes they need to make. Students practice the play twice a week, and they will perform a puppet show at the end of the school year.

Things I have learned from this teaching method:

Puppetry is an effective learning tool with a unique approach to the development of speaking skills in a fun and engaging manner. I have discovered that students can learn much better while they are having fun talking through a puppet. Puppetry provides a medium in which students become more comfortable expressing themselves verbally. With using this method, it helps students begin to develop risk-taking skills that helps them come out of their fears of speaking English through the use of puppets. Students become less inhibited when they are hidden behind the puppet theatre that takes the focus off them, and students find them less intimidating for performing puppet shows. Puppets are excellent tools to encourage and motivate even the most shy students to practice speaking English. Once students become more comfortable and less self-conscious, they are more available to start a simple conversation with others in English even more they become comfortable speaking English in front of their peers.

Moreover, another key element of this method is listening to and repeating the audio clip of their lines that really naturally builds students’ fluency. What they are doing is training their brains, their mouths, their tongues, and their lips, and building their flow, making them speak whole sentences instead of just words that really helps students speak English naturally. By doing so, they will naturally mimic the pronunciation, the flow, the tones, the volumes, the expressions, the speed of speaking English.

Dose it make sense?
I think my writing is a bit redundant.
Please help me make it more precise and concise.
Thanks.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Describing my another teaching method

I don't have time to look at the whole piece but your title is grammatically incorrect. We don't say "my another". You can edit your title up to 24 hours after you posted the thread. Click on "Edit Post", then "Go Advanced" and it will allow you to edit the title.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say:

Teaching Spoken English Through Puppetry

And:

I was in charge of the puppetry team at my school, and I use this method to teach spoken English in my classes.

Please tell me if I understand that correctly.

(I will look at it more later.)

theol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I would say:

Teaching Spoken English Through Puppetry

And:

I was in charge of the puppetry team at my school, and I use this method to teach spoken English in my classes.

Please tell me if I understand that correctly.

(I will look at it more later.)

Yes

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How to proceed:

Devise a 5 to 7 minute script and give each student a role in the play. Students design the puppets, props, and backdrops. Have students watch sample videos to learn the basicd of puppetry. Teach students how to pronounce all the words in the script, intonations, and puppetry techniques. Each student will receive an audio clip of the play. Ask them to listen to the audio clip and repeat their lines as many times as they can at home. Have students record their voice repeating their lines. Discuss their recordings with them and tell them what changes they need to make. Students practice the play twice a week, and they will perform a puppet show at the end of the school year.

Things I have learned from this teaching method:

Puppetry is an effective learning tool with a unique approach to the development of speaking skills in a fun and engaging manner. I have discovered that students can learn much better while they are having fun talking through puppets. Puppetry provides a medium in which students become more comfortable expressing themselves verbally. Bu using this method, students develop risk-taking skills that help them conquer their fears of speaking English through the use of puppets. Students become less inhibited when they are hidden behind the puppet theatre that takes the focus off them, and students find them less intimidating for performing puppet shows. Puppets are excellent tools to encourage and motivate even the most shy students to practice speaking English. Once students become more comfortable and less self-conscious, they are more willing to start a simple conversation with others in English, and they become comfortable speaking English in front of their peers.

Moreover, another key element of this method is listening to and repeating the audio clip of their lines that really naturally builds students’ fluency. What they are doing is training their brains, their mouths, their tongues, and their lips, and building their flow, making them speak whole sentences instead of just words that really helps students speak English naturally. By doing so, they will naturally mimic the pronunciation, the flow, the tones, the volumes, the expressions, the speed of spoken English.

I think "tempo" might be better than "speed" there.

Dose it make sense?
I think my writing is a bit redundant.
Please help me make it more precise and concise.
Thanks.

OK

Status
Not open for further replies.