Diary - A couple of weeks ago, I bought 30 clothes hangers.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought 30 clothes hangers. Over the past few days, they have been decreasing a lot. I didn't understand where they had gone so I checked my mum's wardrobe yesterday. I found many of them were used. She didn't bought any clothes in the past three weeks so why would that happened? I looked deeper in the clothes and found that three to four clothes were stacked in one hanger so I guess when she saw new hangers, she took off some of the clothes from the old ones and put them on to the new ones. I don't know how many more hangers I need to buy.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I might say: "Over the past few days they have been disappearing."

Try: "I checked my mum's wardrobe yesterday. Many of the new hangers were in there."

Rewrite "I looked deeper into the clothes" and say what you really mean.

Do you mean three or four garments were hanging from the same hanger?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Rewrite "I looked deeper into the clothes" and say what you really mean.

Do you mean three or four garments were hanging from the same hanger?
I looked closer to the clothes.
Yes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A couple of weeks ago, I bought 30 clothes hangers. Over the past few days, they a lot of them have been decreasing a lot disappeared. I didn't understand couldn't work out where they had gone so yesterday I checked my mum's wardrobe. yesterday.
I found many of them were in there, being used. She didn't hasn't bought any clothes in the past three weeks so why would that happened she need to take my hangers?
I looked deeper in through the clothes and found that three to or four clothes pieces of clothing were stacked in hanging from one hanger. so I guess when she saw my new hangers, she took off some of the her clothes from the off her old ones and put them on to the my new ones. I don't know how many more hangers I need to buy.
See my changes above. I'm not sure that seeing one single hanger with three or four items of clothing on is enough for you to reach that conclusion. Also, if she's only got one new hanger, where did the rest go? Are you sure you didn't find several of your new hangers in her wardrobe? That needs to be clear.

Also (and this isn't a language issue), you don't need to buy any new hangers! Your mum should give you back the ones she took and she should buy her own new hangers if she wants them!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo @emsr2d2 used the phrase I should have thought of but didn't.
😐

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
See my changes above. I'm not sure that seeing one single hanger with three or four items of clothing on is enough for you to reach that conclusion. Also, if she's only got one new hanger, where did the rest go? Are you sure you didn't find several of your new hangers in her wardrobe? That needs to be clear.
No, not only one. "I found many of them in there, being used." Many of new hangers are with three to four pieces of clothing, and it's the same with the old ones. Therefore, I guess before she got the new hangers, there were five to six clothes hanging from one hangers.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo Two things. One, try: "If you keep correcting the writing of others it will help you improve your English." Two, I'm not at all sure that is true, but it is mental exercise.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, not only one. "I found many of them in there, being used." Many of new hangers are with three to four pieces of clothing, and it's the same with the old ones. Therefore, I guess before she got the new hangers, there were five to six clothes hanging from one hangers.:ROFLMAO:
I knew that. That is, I knew you found several hangers in there. (We don't normally say "clothes hangers" unless that needs to be clarified.)

Say: "Many of the new hangers have three or four garments hanging from them."

Say: "I guess before she got the new hangers there were five or six garments hanging from each one."

We don't say "five or six clothes". "Clothes" is not countable.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I knew that. That is, I knew you found several hangers in there. (We don't normally say "clothes hangers" unless that needs to be clarified.)
Why did you say "knew" and not "know"? Is it to emphasize "you knew" that while you was reading my entry in the past?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why did you say "knew" and not "know"? Is it to emphasize "you knew" that while you WERE reading my entry in the past?
Yes, I was talking about the time I read it the first time -- not later when I posted what you responded to. (The word was not a conscious choice.)