Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I bought a new computer a couple of weeks ago, and everything has since been running smoothly. Surprisingly, I found many companies don't sell computers with DVD drivers anymore, so I have to buy one. I never thought that CDs or DVDs would be phased out quickly because they are still cheaper than USB a lot.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I bought a new computer a couple of weeks ago no comma here and everything has since been running smoothly. Surprisingly, I found discovered that many companies don't sell computers with DVD drivers drives anymore no comma here so I have to buy an external one. I never thought that CDs or DVDs would be phased out quickly so soon/so fast because they are still a lot cheaper than USBs. a lot.
See above. I'm not quite sure what you mean about CDs/DVDs being cheaper than USBs. Are you talking about little USB sticks (known as pen drives or thumb drives)? If so, I would disagree with your statement. There are USB sticks with huge amounts of reusable memory, packing the same amount of data as loads of CDs/DVDs (which also have to be stored somewhere). That makes USB sticks much more economical overall even if they're more expensive to buy at the outset.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Are you talking about little USB sticks (known as pen drives or thumb drives)?
Yes.
There are USB sticks with huge amounts of reusable memory, packing the same amount of data as loads of CDs/DVDs (which also have to be stored somewhere).
Aren’t there some CDs/DVDs can be rewritten? I remember when I was in secondary school, our teacher gave each student a CD for homework, and if he had given each student a USB stick, that would have cost a lot. :ROFLMAO:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Rewritable CDs/DVDs do indeed still exist but, as someone pointed out in another thread, most computers these days don't come with a CD/DVD drive so, on buying a new computer, you might end up with an awful lot of useless disks.
I would have thought the students would have to provide their own USB sticks.