Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

A few days ago, my mum bought us some duck, which was the most delicious duck I'd ever had. Since then, we've been buying duck from the same shop. I've tried similar food before but the restaurants usually don't cooked the duck well, which serves dry and hard. I'm going to try crispy pork tomorrow to see if it's juicy.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
... the most delicious duck I'VE ever had. This is OK if you mean up till now, the moment of speaking/writing.

... the most delicious duck I'D ever had. This is OK if you mean up till the past time of eating.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
... the most delicious duck I'VE ever had. This is OK if you mean up till now, the moment of speaking/writing.

... the most delicious duck I'D ever had. This is OK if you mean up till the past time of eating.

Do I need to keep the past tense for "was" for both tenses?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
A few days ago, my mum bought us some duck, which was the most delicious duck ...
You can remove a word to make that part neater. Do you know which one?
Since then, we've been buying duck from the same shop.
That doesn't make much sense if you only started going to that shop a few days before, unless you eat duck every day.
I've tried similar food before but the eaten duck in restaurants, but they usually don't cook ed the duck it well, which serves *and serve it dry and hard.
* You can also say "so it ends up" instead of "and serve it" there.
I'm going to try crispy pork tomorrow to see if it's juicy.
Where, in a restaurant or at home? That doesn't connect well with the rest of your text.
Do I need to keep the past tense for "was" for both tenses?
Keep "was".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo I just realized that I was thinking about the time you are dinner at that restaurant. Your mum buys it at a shop and brings it home more or less regularly. In that case I would say, "It's the most delicious duck I've ever had."

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
You can remove a word to make that part neater. Do you know which one?
Is it the second "duck"?
That doesn't make much sense if you only started going to that shop a few days before, unless you eat duck every day.
Yes, since that day, my mum has been gone to the shop to buy the duck, and we has been eating the duck every day.

Where, in a restaurant or at home? That doesn't connect well with the rest of your text.
The shop we bought the duck.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
@Maybo I just realized that I was thinking about the time you are dinner at that restaurant. Your mum buys it at a shop and brings it home more or less regularly. In that case I would say, "It's the most delicious duck I've ever had."
I see.
  1. When I'm eating the duck, or I'm having it regularly, I should use "It's the most delicious duck I've ever had."
  2. For example, if I ate the duck yesterday, but from then on till now, I feel "most delicious", I say "It was the most delicious duck I've ever had."
  3. For example, I want to emphasize the feeling when I had the duck in the past. I say "It was the most delicious duck I'd ever had."

Have I understood them correctly?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A few days ago, my mum bought us some duck at a local shop, which and it was the most delicious duck I'd/I've ever had. Since then, w We've been buying bought duck from the same shop there every day since.

I've tried similar food duck before in restaurants but the restaurants they usually don't cooked cook the duck it well, which serves resulting in it being dry and hard.
I've taken your responses to the various questions in this thread into consideration and these are my suggested changes to the original text.

I'm going to try crispy pork tomorrow to see if it's juicy.
This has no connection to the rest of the post. Save it for another thread.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see.
  1. When I'm eating the duck, or I'm having it regularly, I should use "It's the most delicious duck I've ever had."
  2. For example, if I ate the duck yesterday, but from then on till now, I feel "most delicious", I say "It was the most delicious duck I've ever had."
  3. For example, I want to emphasize the feeling when I had the duck in the past. I say "It was the most delicious duck I'd ever had."

Have I understood them correctly?
Exactly!

I think "serve" is the word that threw me. They serve food (or the people that eat it) at a restaurant. At a shop they don't serve it to you. They sell it to you only.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo My apologies! I notice that I have gotten into the habit of leaving words out of sentences. I would like to say I do it to test your English skills, but that's not true. I just haven't been catching those errors.